• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Epic 18X Sport

nhk750

Paddler
After researching, paddling and owning three different sea kayaks in the past 15 years, I finally ordered an Epic 18X Sport with the Track Master PLUS rudder.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the boat on average? The dealer I purchased it from thinks around February, but he is not sure as they don't sell the kayaks and usually only sell the Epic paddles. Alder Creek Kayak is the only Epic dealer in Portland. I know there is a dealer in Renton, WA, but I am in Portland working for a few months. SO, ordered it while down here...

I can hardly wait to have a light fast and awsome sea kayak. My Easy Rider 17 Eskimo is a great boat for hauling gear and storm paddling with massive stability, but it is heavy and slow.

Maybe now I will have a chance in some of the Sound Rower races....

Update on the order.

Epic sent Alder Creek kayak an email said they got the order and the Epic 18X should ship in November! I am so excited to be getting a fast light boat, finnally. Probably take longer to ship on the freighter than to just fly over there and paddle it back....

I just read on Sea Kayaker magazine that the Epic kayaks are being made in South Carolina now? Does anyone know if this is true? They said they were having problems in china?

18X is a sweet boat,I'm slightly jealous. The one I have seen in person at Deep cove, I think a currently year model, the layup looked flawless. For sure it's one of the fastest kayaks that have a pretty comfortable amount of stability.

6101.jpg

My new baby...I too afraid to scratch it, it is so perfect! It is amazing how light an 18ft boat can be, and man this thing is fast. It is like paddling a speed boat!

Congrats! now paddle it lots and forget about the shiny new factor.
Turns out Epic also recently put out a surfski version of the 18X, called the V8. And Think put an overstern rudder on the Fit. Things are looking better and better for the fast 17-18 footer range.

Well, I though I would post an update on my EPIC. I have gotten out for a few paddles now and have it tuned in and trimmed fairly well now. I got out on Lake Washington the other day in some rough water and was pleasantly surprised!

This kayak tends to slice through the waves like a knife instead of bouncing over them like my past sea kayaks and it is very stable at all angles to the waves. I felt very fast while going straight into the wind and waves and also at other various angles. The GPS said I sustained an average of 5 MPH speed for 50 minutes. I could only do 3.5 to 4 MPH in my past boats, so I am very pleased with the performance of this awesome sea kayak so far.

I can hardly wait to get on some long distance trips this spring and summer. I am kind of a fair weather sea kayaker and do mostly ww in the winter, so the Epic X Sport is relegated to day trips for now...

nhk750 said:
The GPS said I sustained an average of 5 MPH speed for 50 minutes. I could only do 3.5 to 4 MPH in my past boats, so I am very pleased with the performance of this awesome sea kayak so far.
I imagine with training and practice you'll be able to maintain average MPH in high 5s if not low 6s over an hour.
18X is noticeably faster than my Solstice GTS, and I averaged just a hair under 5mph over the 20 miles of Round Bowen Challenge,and I was roughly in the upper middle of the sea kayak class and was beaten by over 30+ minutes by the faster guys in the FSK class that the 18X belongs in.

I notice that one is posted for sale in the Seattle area on a couple of Yahoo sites.

The 18x by epic is hands down one of the fastest sea kayaks i have ever been in. i get the feel of a sprint kayak or surf ski when paddling the 18X in my words it was a good buy mate.

and that work thing, well just call in sick and hope they go for it.

Back