• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

????Spring WCP Get-Together?????

Where Would You Prefer To Go

• Portland Island

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wallace Island

• Sidney Spit

• Deception Pass

• Pirate's Cove

• Blackberry Point

• Total voters
My suggestion for transportation to Blackberry.

Tsawassen to Duke Pt.

10 minute drive in to Cedar by the Sea (Yellow Pt) (potentially get a taxi or car pool with others going to this event)

Launch from the beach beside the Nelson Rd Boat Launch (lanch from beach not Boat launch to keep locals happy... plus its a great beach)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=49.1 ... 8&t=h&z=17

This is way easier than heading to Gabriola... and its only a couple hour paddle to blackberry (for slow paddlers)... with Pirates Cove Provincial Park half way there for a really nice break spot.

Hi all friends,
the plan is to come to the gulf islands from april 22th to may 1st, it will be great to see what weekend is evolving,
maybe some of you are still hanging out if i can not make it to the WCP get-together?

servus from the danube
:wink:
willi

Is there a way to get to the camp spot by vehicle? I could probably go kayaking FROM the spot for fun, but probably not able to do the full paddle to get there...

No. Blackberry Point is at least 5 miles from any road access.

Astoriadave said:
Watermark,

Have you tried launching at Yellow Point? Looks to be about 3 1/2 nautical miles straight across to Blackberry Point from there. The drive from Departure bay (or Duke Point) is not too bad, as a straight shot, avoiding the second ferry and drive on Gabriola.

I haven't launched from Yellow Point, but looks like you're right. Leaves more time for paddling if you can avoid an extra ferry wait.

Just a caution, Blackberry is subject to removal from public access (Ken, you might know re: marine trails) so a backup spot like Decourcy & Pirates Cove might be worthwhile. (South side campsite), Both BB and Pirate's are an enjoyable paddle from Yellow Point launch. The launch at Yellow Pt via Nelson Road is good, steep, but good.

Yeah, I've heard some mention of that but I don't know where to confirm and I don't know the details of why.

Since it seems obvious now that Blackberry Point cannot be used to host an organized paddle, I've split the discussion regarding the closure of Blackberry Point to a new discussion as it seems to be one of it's own now and is taking away from the current discussion about planning for the spring campout. Thanks Ken, for confirming the information about BP.

The discussion about Blackberry Point is continuing in a new thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4535

Thanks.

Well if Blackberry point is out I am with DVFRGGR , Deception Pass is an excellent idea.

Paddling for all abilities
Luxury camping
Cheap beer and wine
cheap gas to and from

And the best part is stay 2 days or more and you can spend $450 duty free at REI on your way there!

As nice as Beaumont is I view it as "been there done that " so not to keen on it JMO

Oh and late April works best for me.

How far is it from Vancouver to Deception Pass? Might be do-able...
How about Pirate's Cove?
I have to agree that I think we have used up Beaumont. If we were to do again...would rather do again Portland. I love it there.
Would rather explore the DeCourcey area...didn't actually pull up at Pirate's Cove when we paddled there though. Would love to hear more about these options!

Possible to have two spring sessions? Let say Deception WCPGT (wcp get together) and Portland WCPGT? They wouldn't even have to happen at the same time?!

Both locations sound attractive. Easy (and financially rewarding) trip from Vancouver to Deception, although the wait at Peace Arches would discourage me. Access from Victoria would equally be easy via Anacortes ferry.

Any info on Deception WCPGT camping area and possible side trips, beside the obvious attraction?

Pirates cove would be good, to explore the cliffs of the DeCourcy group and/or Valdes is a very nice trip. You could even stop is to see the Blackberry Point site.

Deception Pass is roughly 1h30-1h45 minutes from Vancouver depending on how slow you are ;)

I live right at the border in White Rock and it takes me 45 minutes from the driveway to the parking lot at Bowman Bay removing customs, which is easy to schedule around the wait times if you listen to 730 AM or check the wait times online.

I heartily vote for DP, it is high time we moved this event around to somewhere other than the Gulf Islands, says the guy who has not attended a single camp out yet ;)

Added bonus - if the camp-out occurs a weekend I can actually attend for once I would be happy to lead a group paddle in the area and would gladly donate some time to skills/rescue training/practice for anyone who is interested.

I may even be persuaded to offer a currents class for those with the requisite skill set - TBC

Once the dates are nailed down I will present to you all something more formal with the WCP moderator's approval and anyone interested can make their interest level known at that time on a first come first serve basis.

If the dates work out that is!

Added bonus - breakfast at the Deception Pass Grill, one of my favs!

Added Bonus - supper at the Brown Lantern Pub in Anacortes, home of some of the tastiest burgers I have ever had the privilige of sinking my teeth into. More importantly, they also make a mean Black&Tan ;)

Well, as the one who raised the amber flag on Blackberry, I hate to be the one to (almost literally) throw water on the fire a 2nd time but unless my suspect memory is playing trick on me, Pirates Cove/Decourcy is a No Fire campsite. So for those who want to roast oysters on the fire or chien chauds, then paddling into the rendezvous likely won't happen. So for a hull of a good time that leaves Deception or Portand or perhaps bifurcate the the spring rafting up and do both

Despite the risk of giving a false impression that Dan is in charge here (huge tongue in cheek), I might suggest adding in a poll at some point to gauge interest in our options so far. Something along the lines of...

A) Blackberry Point (be aware of possible expulsion risks)
B) Deception Pass (Border issues ?)
C) Portland (No campfires?)
D) Beaumont (been there, done that)
E) ...

You get the idea.

While I personally would lean towards Blackberry, my sense is a small group of campers is much more likely to be ignored than 30-40 all showing up for the same weekend. Not having been there, that's just my $.02.

KayDubbya said:
Despite the risk of giving a false impression that Dan is in charge here (huge tongue in cheek), I might suggest adding in a poll at some point.
That would indeed be a huge false impression. I help run this website -- beyond that, whatever needs to be decided about the spring campout is entirely up to all of you.

Since Blackberry is out,how about Sydney Spit? It's nice and in April it's going to be pretty empty.
DP sounds like an awesome idea. I don't have a passport yet,but sounds excellent for those who do,and if it's chosen and I have papers by then,would gladly attend.
Beaumont isn't half bad,and even though generally I'm with the people that 'been there done that',it has many good things going for it.
Wallace is also nice,and marginally big enough,maybe.
I like the idea of a place that most can easily get to,but gives those who want an option to go play in the swirlies.

Back