• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

First Nation Bans Non-Native Boat Access

Gecko Paddler

Paddler
I came across this and wonder if this is actually happening?

"The Stz’uminus (Chemainus) First Nation has pledged to prohibit boat traffic in a large chunk of coastal Cowichan waters. The area affected includes everything north of Maple Bay, from Sansum Narrows right up to Dodds Narrows south of Nanaimo.

“Until further notice, Stz’uminus First Nation will prohibit access to its core territory in the Salish Sea by all vessels, including but not limited to, commercial fishing vessels, Fisheries and Oceans Canada vessels, and any non-Native civilians and government officials,” John Elliott, chief of the Ladysmith-area band said in a statement released Friday."

http://www.cowichannewsleader.com/news/ ... obile=true

Mark

Well that sucks. I wonder how they are planning to enforce their ban? Might have to make a few road trips towards the end of the month rather than paddling my usual waters.

My guess it will be a wait and see ( no pun intended) :lol: thing. I haven't found any other news flash indicating the blockade is being enforced.

Mark

Check out the graphic in the link. The affected waters extend all the way across Trincomali Channel to Galiano and Valdez, and include waters adjacent to these two on their EAST side. Does anybody seriously think the band has the resources to patrol all of those waters?

My bet is there is a plan to set up a blockade around some port, or perhaps around a DFO vessel while it is at dockside, and use that to draw in the media. Can not believe they would try to board vessels under way. And, also can not believe there is any capability or interest in kayakers. We are small fry, and any efforts to blockade or "board" us would be laughable.

Astoriadave said:
My bet is there is a plan to set up a blockade around some port, or perhaps around a DFO vessel while it is at dockside, and use that to draw in the media. Can not believe they would try to board vessels under way. And, also can not believe there is any capability or interest in kayakers. We are small fry, and any efforts to blockade or "board" us would be laughable.

Perhaps, but I don't have 'test case' painted on my boat.....who need this sort of hassle?

(and isn't there already an intention to make BlackBerry Point 'out of bounds', if I read the BCMarineTrails info correctly?...)

And, 'natives' certainly haven't hesitated to block 'other ordinary people' when road and rail blockades have been set up elsewhere in Canada. (And, legal or not, these blockades have been 'allowed'....it's the 'whatever.....' response; people don't seem to get upset about such things nowadays.)

It looks like terms are changing to a fisheries 'blockade':
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rompts-first-nation-blockade-threat-1.2635148
(clip)Now the band has has issued a notice saying the Stz'uminus will prohibit access to all vessels in its traditional waters, an area stretching from Active Pass to Gabriola Island.

(chief) Eliott says plans are still being finalized, but the blockade would likely target all fisheries including crab, prawn and herring.(clip)

(Blackberry Point was always on private land but with permitted use, but now the conditions have changed such that continuing use can not now be assured.)

Agreed that a couple of kayakers would be small fry but I also don't think that I want to be the one to 'test the waters' in this case... wouldn't be very fun to be out there in a kayak and have some angry folks speed up to me in a power boat and start giving me problems... hopefully we will hear some better news soon...

mick_allen said:
It looks like terms are changing to a fisheries 'blockade':
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rompts-first-nation-blockade-threat-1.2635148
(clip)Now the band has has issued a notice saying the Stz'uminus will prohibit access to all vessels in its traditional waters, an area stretching from Active Pass to Gabriola Island.

(chief) Eliott says plans are still being finalized, but the blockade would likely target all fisheries including crab, prawn and herring.(clip)

hmmm...I still read that as prohibiting all vessels with the main targets being fisheries...still sounds like a deterrent to me

JohnAbercrombie said:
And, 'natives' certainly haven't hesitated to block 'other ordinary people' when road and rail blockades have been set up elsewhere in Canada. (And, legal or not, these blockades have been 'allowed'....it's the 'whatever.....' response; people don't seem to get upset about such things nowadays.)

It looks clearly to me as an act of anarchy.

Interestingly, media keeps quiet about it, Perhaps a form of censorship is involved? Governments pathetically keep quiet as well. General public, as Johns said, has the 'whatever' attitude. It will be interesting to observe Active Pass blockade. Would BC Ferries decide then to sail their craft around East Point?

I like paddling in the area that is off limits now. Blackberry Point, Pirates Cove, Samsun Narrows are my favourite venues. Will we be one day reduced to an hour of afternoon kayaking in a local swimming pool?

I just checked the BC Ferries site and there is nothing posted about any sort of disruption to the Chemainus - Thetis Island - Penelakut Island sailings...

From what I've read they've stated that their beef is only with the DFO. If I lived nearby I'd give it a go but that's me. I wouldn't fly a DFO flag from my kayak though.

If it was me I would ask for permission from the band beforehand. Yes, they probably wont be able to stop kayakers and may very well not care about kayakers in the affected waters, but if you essentially give First Nations the middle finger now when they're fighting for something important to them, how accommodating to kayakers can you expect them to be in the future?

I think the kayaking community is best served long-term by fostering a harmonious relationship with First Nations.

JohnAbercrombie said:
Well, as long as it doesn't affect me personally, I guess it's OK.
Whatever.....

I don't understand what you are trying to say?

I agree with WaterMark's earlier point that the kayaking community is probably best served long-term by fostering a harmonious relationship with First Nations so I don't think I want to paddle in the area if that goes against what the Chemainus first nations are trying to do...I have no dispute with them and do not wish to get into a conflict with them.

explorer777 said:
JohnAbercrombie said:
Well, as long as it doesn't affect me personally, I guess it's OK.
Whatever.....

I don't understand what you are trying to say?

I agree with WaterMark's earlier point that the kayaking community is probably best served long-term by fostering a harmonious relationship with First Nations so I don't think I want to paddle in the area if that goes against what the Chemainus first nations are trying to do...I have no dispute with them and do not wish to get into a conflict with them.

I was wondering as well. I thought after reading John's reply that there was some injustice going on which I wasn't aware of. The blockade? Should we be outraged? What is the issue?

Back