• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

GoPro HERO4 Session …very small, pretty cool.

Had and sold quickly the GP Black as the battery life was problematic. The key for me to ever consider these wonderful little cameras is a) battery life b) how facile is a recharging when on the go - for example 3 weeks in the Mid Coast. Storage might (only might) be an issue as well unless S cards are used and enhance storage. :?:

Philip.AK said:
I was excited too until I watched this review. The bad news comes at the end.

http://youtu.be/xxiCVu_SdDw

Great detailed video review and comparison.

With the entire world of sports coverage and capture relying so heavily on the few high quality action camera manufacturers out there, it doesn't take long to find out whether a new offering is worthy, or not.

Despite the falloff in image quality, GoPro has clearly made some worthwhile advancements here. It will be interested to see where this camera falls in price after the initial buzz fades. I'd think too, that GoPro is probably already working on improving the image quality, based on feedback they most certainly already had from the field. We'll see.

Cheers

Yeah, it seems like a slightly different application than the normal silver/black models. Not the greatest image quality, but it's so small you can put it in places you couldn't (easily) before!

I really don't care about recording my life enough to spend the $$$ on one of these, but they are pretty cool.

Yeah, a simple CMOS sensor swap or a different lens element would probably fix the problem. I like and use GoPros a lot, but the quality can be hit and miss. I did a side-by-side between a Hero 2 and a Black 3 and Silver 3, and the Silver beat the Black in terms of image quality in a shocking way (the difference between the Hero 2 and Silver 3 was minimal). I think when they put the 4k sensor in the Black they sacrificed exposure latitude for pixels. It seems odd that they would not address the video quality in the new Session since it sounds like they have been working on it for years. They could have just plopped the lens and sensor from the Silver 3+ in there and had a great unit. I have a Silver 3+ now and it's an excellent camera, but I would totally leap at the simplicity, form factor, battery life, and general cuteness of the new Session... if the video quality wasn't a step backwards. :big_thumb

Tatlow said:
Had and sold quickly the GP Black as the battery life was problematic. The key for me to ever consider these wonderful little cameras is a) battery life b) how facile is a recharging when on the go - for example 3 weeks in the Mid Coast. Storage might (only might) be an issue as well unless S cards are used and enhance storage. :?:

Powering most devices over a 3 week timeline is a challenge for the user, rather than the manufacturer. There are hundreds of battery/power banks, packs, etc. available for dealing with this hurdle. With the previous Hero line, spare batteries are an option. This new cam has the battery incorporated into it and so, for use in remote areas, a power pack will be required for recharging.

That said, GoPro has reportedly addressed battery drain within the shooting day with this new camera, according to a couple of reviews I've seen.

[shortyoutube]http://youtu.be/f2cDta-WvPU[/shortyoutube]

Many people are going to run with this because of the virtues the Session has. Also, you can rework video quality. I guess it remains to be seen whether or not the lack of pop is something that can be addressed in post processing, but GoPro products are tested on the world stage and if professional users start poo pooing this camera, I'd think GoPro will be forced to address it. Time will tell.

Guess they already have a "Floaty" for the HERO4 Session too:

http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/float ... T-001.html

Cheers

I used GoPro during many expeditions: kayaking, climbing.
I am satisfied with its image quality (using it as an additional accion camera) but very annoyed with battery life.
It is completely usless during long trips especially if you need to change battery in the middle of sea.

Arek

Back