• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Orcas in decline thanks to sea kayakers

jamonte

Paddler
Here's an article that ran in the Seattle Times a couple days ago:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...r-orcas-and-getting-away-with-it-study-finds/

I have a couple of thoughts on this topic: 1) The steady decline in resident orca populations in the Salish Sea has more to do with declining wild salmon stocks than any other factor, though pollution (bioaccumulation of toxins in their bodies) is probably also a significant factor. 2) Better enforcement of the Marine Mammal Act is definitely needed, including hefty fines for aggressive boaters (including kayakers) who come too close to the whales. If you've paddled off San Juan Island in the summer much, you'll know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, this article argues that kayakers are the main reason that resident pods no longer spend much time in their regular summer hunting grounds and I'm not buying it. If salmon were still running there in large numbers, the orcas would surely follow.

Yeah, it's bull. Orcas can get away easily from kayakers and know you are there, thanks to echolocation, a mile away. Big boats? Sure. Damming? Absolutely.

Well, I think it's a little more complicated than that. Orcas can certainly swim away from kayakers, but if kayakers are affecting the whales' behavior, such as chasing them out of their hunting grounds or separating the pod, then that's a big problem which needs to stop. The two things that I've seen kayakers routinely do is: 1) Paddle out from shore and park their kayaks right in the path of the pod, and 2) try to paddle alongside of the pod. Both of these practices are illegal, per WA state regs: https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/orca/

More detailed guidelines are available from the Whale Museum:
https://www.visitsanjuans.com/sites/default/files/media/kelp_brochure_2011r.pdf

My beef with the Seattle Times article is that it seems to blame kayakers for the decline of our resident orcas while ignoring the decimation of wild salmon stocks, which are the primary food source for our local pods. (Transient orcas hunt seals, baleen whales, and salmon while our Southern resident pods just eat salmon.) If you want to save these whales, then save wild salmon. You could ban every kayak from the Salish Sea and it's not going to have much effect on these whales' survival.

jamonte wrote: My beef with the Seattle Times article is that it seems to blame kayakers for thedecline of our resident orcas while ignoring the decimation of wild salmon stocks, which are the primary food source for our local pods. (Transient orcas hunt seals, baleen whales, and salmon while our Southern resident pods just eat salmon.) If you want to save these whales, then save wild salmon. You could ban every kayak from the Salish Sea and it's not going to have much effect on these whales' survival.

Well said. The effect of the loss of salmon stocks on orcas is just one example of how much of the marine and aquatic ecosphere hereabouts is dependent on anadromous fish. Dead salmon in spawning streams represent a major nutrient resource for hundreds of aquatic species in rivers and streams. Without salmon returns, our streams and rivers would be biologically degraded to barren areas unable to support a diverse population of healthy critters.

Orca populations in the Salish Sea, and those up and down the coast of North America are heavily dependent on salmonoids. Orcas are highly intelligent, very adaptable creatures. But, take away their main food source, and they will suffer.

Or, perhaps they will branch out and search for protein packets conveniently delivered in fiberglass enclosures? ;)

Or, perhaps they will branch out and search for protein packets conveniently delivered in fiberglass enclosures? ;)

This made me laugh, reminding me of a passage from an 1980s era guidebook to Sea Kayaking Canada's West Coast I have kicking around somewhere at home. There's a passage in it to the effect of "There are no recorded instances of killer whales attacking sea kayakers." Reassuring until you think about it. There wouldn't be - there would just be recorded instances of sea kayakers not coming back...

I normally enjoy the writing of Lynda Mapes, the Seattle Times journalist who wrote the kayakers versus orcas article, but unfortunately, this is not the first time she has presented accurate facts in a misleading way. This time, she accurately reports that kayakers have negative effects on orcas, but she misleadingly underplays the seriousness of the salmon depletion issue, presenting salmon depletion as a problem that "to some" is a "much bigger problem," as if there were room for debate. In reality, the UW's Center for Conservation Biology has demonstrated that "[p]hysiological correlations with prey overshadowed any impacts of vessels, since [stress hormones] were lowest during the peak in vessel abundance, which also coincided with the peak in salmon availability."

In a previous article, Mapes pulled a similar trick regarding hydropower: She accurately stated that hydropower reservoirs are sources of methane, but she trumpeted this fact in a way that made it appear dams might be as climatologically unfriendly as fossil fuels. She lead her article with the provocative, "Think hydropower is carbon neutral? You have another think coming." However, a more accurate summation, not revealed until later in the article, is that dams contribute about 1.3% of total human greenhouse gas emissions, a number which is 25% higher than previously believed (previously, the number was thought to be 1.04% of total emissions). Totally undisclosed in the article is the fact that hydroelectric power emits less than a tenth of the greenhouse gases per unit for electricity over its lifecycle when compared with natural gas, and less than a twentieth when compared with coal, per this policymakers' summary from the IPCC, at pg. 19. A fairer presentation by Mapes might have been, "A very clean source of power is slightly less clean than previously believed but still much cleaner than any alternative."

It is disappointing that Mapes's desire to surprise readers into rethinking their environmental positions sometimes leads her to miscontextualize the issues. Intrusive kayakers aren't doing the orcas any favors, but what's actually killing them is the decimation of the salmon, with pollution likely also playing a less well-understood role. Mapes should have laid this out more fairly.

Alex

Last edited:
Update:
The Victoria Times Colonist reprinted that article by Mapes this weekend.

Even if the article had been more 'balanced' a.k.a. accurate, it wouldn't make a great deal of difference.
A quick search finds research showing that 40-60% of people form an opinion (and may comment on 'social media') after reading only the headline, not bothering to read the text of the article.
And, more and more (it seems to me) headlines are 'click-bait', not indicators of the article content.

If anyone has seen the activity on the west side of the San Juan Island, it is clear that the commercial boats overwhelmingly "influence" the Orcas. They have some code system where the Whale Watching services communicate to each other that a pod is passing by and all these power boats - and remember all those engine sounds - not only start trailing the Orcas, they also position themselves in front of the pod so they can say, "The pod came to us". For someone to suggest that a kayak paddler could keep up with the moving pod - well, maybe if they had a fast Epic :) but probably not.

For someone to suggest that a kayak paddler could keep up with the moving pod - well, maybe if they had a fast Epic :) but probably not.
Usually it's a case of paddlers not being able to move out of the way of orcas and other marine mammals, in my experience. For most of my friends, it's definitely not a matter of 'lying in wait' hoping that a 'substantial' (!) size animal will surface near the kayak!

In Barkley Sound one misty June day, two of us headed out alongside the SE flank of Edward King, and noted a smallish humpback exploring a small cove. Respecting the whale's territory, we passed well off the horns of the cove. He or she appeared to make no changes of course, etc., in response to our presence.

On the return two hours later, we carefully snuck along the shoreline, in water too shallow for an animal of its size, unsure where it might be, but saw no sign of it ... until it surfaced between us, and rolled, giving me the stink eye and my companion a bath! Separation? 20 meters maximum between our boats, which the humpback split cleanly. We heard what certainly were humpback chuckles ... ample compensation for an early underwear change when we hit camp.

For someone to suggest that a kayak paddler could keep up with the moving pod - well, maybe if they had a fast Epic :) but probably not.

The speed at which you paddle is irrelevant. Per the law, if you find yourself within 200 yards of the whales you must stop paddling. Here's the exact wording:

"If kayakers have taken all measures to maintain a 200 yard distance and stay out of the path from whales and still unexpectedly find themselves out of compliance with the laws they shall: • Paddle out of the on-coming path of whales 400-200 yards from whales; • Immediately stop paddling within 200 yards until the whales have passed."

The speed at which you paddle is irrelevant. Per the law, if you find yourself within 200 yards of the whales you must stop paddling. Here's the exact wording:

"If kayakers have taken all measures to maintain a 200 yard distance and stay out of the path from whales and still unexpectedly find themselves out of compliance with the laws they shall: • Paddle out of the on-coming path of whales 400-200 yards from whales; • Immediately stop paddling within 200 yards until the whales have passed."
Two thoughts:
-this is the regulation/law in the US only, in Canada it's only a guideline and the distance is 100 m IIRC
-the quoted US law/regulation indicates that if whales are heading straight for kayakers, the kayakers should stop paddling (backwards, presumably) once the whales get within 200 yards. That's not going to happen, I think.

This whole focus on kayakers is a bit silly in my opinion. In the Victoria area, any time there have been whales near me, there have been multiple power boats converging at high speed, and moving under power around the whales, following them, etc...Humans can hear those boats from miles away, for whales......
It isn't kayakers disturbing the whales that's the problem.
It's complex; without whale watching businesses doing the publicity and 'education', would people be even less concerned about the real issues?

Can I paddle along the shore parallel to the path of the Orcas if they are 100m+ away and not moving towards me?

Can I paddle along the shore parallel to the path of the Orcas if they are 100m+ away and not moving towards me?

No. If you are within 200 yards of a killer whale in Washington State, you must either paddle away or else sit still.

Under Washington law, it is unlawful to "cause a vessel or other object to approach, in any manner, within 200 yards." Citation: RCW 77.15.740. Paralleling the killer whales' course at 100 meters' distance would "cause your vessel to approach within 200 yards" for a longer period of time than if you either paddled away or remained still. You would no longer be able to "blame the whales" for approaching you; you would be approaching them.

In 2008, the original killer whale bubble in Washington State was set at 300 feet (100 yards / ~100 meters). Citation: 2008 Wash. Sess. Laws 1163-1164. But the original 100 yard Washington rule was changed to its current 200 yards in 2012 to comport with a then-newly created 2011 federal rule that imposed a 200-yard limit. Citation: 50 C.F.R. § 224.103(e).

Be aware, too, that biologists have demonstrated possible negative effects on whale feeding behavior from kayakers. Citation: 76 Fed. Reg. 20884 ("While kayaks are small and quiet, they have the potential to disturb whales as obstacles on the surface. Kayaks may startle marine mammals by approaching them without being heard...In the presence of only kayaks, the probability that the whales will shift to travel behavior from other behavior states (including feeding) significantly increased compared to no-boat conditions, which indicates an avoidance tactic.") Just because your behavior is lawful does not necessarily make it right.

As one of the other commenters noted, in Canada, the approach distances are closer, and the "rules" are currently guidelines, not law. The government of Canada is considering tightening these protections.

Alex

Last edited:
Dave, your experience with that humpback whale reminds me of one highlight from when I paddled part of the Inside Passage in AK. Our group of four was making its way north one day when a humpie appeared right next to my kayak, swimming parallel with me at the same speed, maybe 25-20 ft to my left. He or she just kept swimming alongside us, almost as if joining our group. We were delighted, of course. This went on for a long time—a mile?

And then a commercial whalewatching boat far away must have spotted all of us and powered diagonally in a beeline for us. I was ticked. Before it got even halfway to us, the whale dove deep and disappeared from view. The frking boat drove up close, people frantically looking all around as if we were hiding a treasure. We avoided all eye and voice contact and just kept paddling our course. After a few minutes the boat left.

I felt bad for the whale and figured we would not see it again. But, lo and behold, like a dream come back, after another mile or so of paddling (and the idiot boatload GONE from sight), the whale surfaced with a little pfft of mist next to me—in the same relative position and distance! At that moment, I was convinced that they really do use echolocation very well. We continued paddling side by side for quite a bit longer before the whale veered off and went its own way. So sue me, we were too close, but that whale clearly chose to swim next to us, clearly disliked and avoided the powerboat, and clearly had no trouble knowing where we were later yet still came close.

Relatively new to the coast and this whole whales thing so forgive me but I thought the deal with humpbacks (vs. orcas) was that they weren't boat aware hence the safe distance requirement to avoid prop strikes, kayak capsizises, etc. Seems to me that was the message from MERS presentations I've attended. No?

I actually think it's probably a bigger issue for humpbacks, who do not echolocate, than for orcas, who do. Orcas are echolocating constantly and they know you're there a LONG way back. If they wanted to avoid a kayak, it would be simple to do. The humpback, however, may not know where the kayak is. Humpbacks hit cruise ships for the same reason--they just did not evolve to expect there to be big, hard things on the surface of their water.

Humpbacks definitely seem to know where boats are, but you are right that it is visual (though there is some research saying that the knobs on their snouts do have some sort of prey detecting ability we don't understand, which may also be useful for detecting non-prey like us). But I have seen many instances of whales acting like they knew a kayak was there - either in avoiding the kayak, or in changing directions to come over and check out the kayak.

Something t keep in mind - in the US (Canadian laws likely are different), Humpbacks don't have the special protection that the Salish Seas orcas get. Humpbacks fall just under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. There are guidelines on distance that many organizations quote, but not hard distances required listed in the law. The act just says you can't "harass" them, and the current definition of harassing is to change their behavior.

December 2022 update:

Last month, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) published its first biennial report on the efficacy of orca regulations in our state. WDFW recommends that the Washington State Legislature adopt a new statute setting an approach limit of 1,000 yards around southern resident killer whales, applicable to all vessels, during all seasons, at all times.

Currently, Washington's general approach limit for southern residents is 300 yards to the side, 400 yards to front or rear. 2019 Wash. Sess. Laws 1669. However, commercial whale watching boats can only take advantage of the 300/400-yard approach limit during summertime months (July 1 through September 30), and even during those months, only during two windows each day from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM, and again from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM. Outside the daily summertime windows, commercial whale watching boats are subject to a larger approach limit of one-half nautical mile (approximately 1,000 yards). WSR-21-23-070. There are also limits on the number of commercial whale watching boats that may cluster within the vicinity of southern residents. WSR 21-01-216.

Non-commercial boaters are not ever subject to the larger approach limit; they remain subject to the general approach limit of 300/400 yards at all times and during all seasons. WSR-21-23-070. So the proposed new statute would be a significant expansion of the southern resident protection bubble. It would make the 1,000-yard approach limit apply to all boats (not just commercial) and would apply the 1,000-yard approach limit year-round.

In addition to the general approach limit, there is currently also a "no-go zone" along the west coast of San Juan Island extending one-quarter nautical mile offshore, except one-half nautical mile offshore of Lime Kiln Point. Within this zone, motorized commercial whale watching vessels are prohibited year-round, regardless of the presence of whales. Within this zone, non-motorized commercial kayak guides and their clients must remain within one hundreds yards of shore, again year-round and regardless of the presence of whales. WSR-21-23-070. The "no-go zone" exclusions do not apply to recreational boaters, whether motorized or non-motorized. The proposed new statute does not modify the "no go zone" rules.

Transient killer whales (as opposed to southern resident killer whales) do not have an approach limit under state law, but they do have an approach limit under federal law. Within the inland waters of Washington (everything east of Tatoosh Island), the approach limit for all killer whales (both transient and southern resident) is 200 yards to side or rear, 400 yards to the front. 50 C.F.R. § 224.103(e). Nothing in the proposed new statute modifies federal law, of course, and the proposed new statute also does not extend any new protections to transient killer whales.

Washington law formerly mirrored the federal limit with regard to southern residents—see 2014 Wash. Sess. Laws 254, 275 (200 yards side and rear, 400 yards front)—but in recent years, the legislature has been increasing the protections for southern residents, first to the current limit of 300/400 for rec boaters and one-half nautical mile for commercial whale watchers (2019 Wash. Sess. Laws 1669), and now, potentially, the proposed limit of 1,000 yards.

Under Washington's old 2014 rule, it was not necessary to distinguish between southern resident killer whales and transient killer whales. Both species were subject to the 200/400 rule under federal law anyway, so for purposes of regulatory compliance, it didn't matter which species you encountered on the water. Since Washington's 2019 rule (300/400 general, 1/2 mile commercial), and especially if Washington's proposed 1,000-yard rule goes into effect, it now does matter which species you encounter on the water.

The WDFW report supporting the proposed 1,000-yard rule is fascinating reading. It won't surprise anyone to learn that commercial whale watching businesses have been squawking about the ever-widening approach limits and no-go zone rules. No doubt the whale watchers would prefer a regulatory environment in which they could motor right up to the whales to give their clients the best possible viewing experience. But the whale watchers are savvy enough not to say so out loud. Instead, they have advanced what WDFW calls the "sentinel theory."

The sentinel theory holds that the presence of commercial whale watchers actually protects the whales. When recreational boaters see commercial whale watchers sharking around a pod of whales, the recreational boaters are reminded of the approach limit and further reminded that someone is watching them and might report them if they violate the limit. The whale watchers are eco-guardians! And of course, eco-guardians can't perform their eco-guarding duties if they're not allowed to approach the whales, so we'd better set those approach limits as close as possible and maybe scrap that no-go zone while we're at it. And no more limits on the number of whale watching boats clustering around the whales, either. The more sentinels, the better!

Lovers of whales who don't have a financial interest in approaching whales as closely as possible reject the sentinel theory. They have advanced a competing theory: the "magnet theory." The magnet theory holds that recreational boaters are actually attracted to approach whales when they see commercial whale watching boats. Were it not for the commercial whale watching boats, the recreational boaters might not have noticed the whales at all and might not have approached to check them out. Even worse, the rec boaters who follow the commercial whale watchers do not always abide by the approach limit once they reach the whales. Push those relentless commercial whale watchers farther away, and your average beer-chugging rec boater wouldn't even know to look for whales in the first place.

The legislature directed WDFW to examine whale-watching issues, including the sentinel theory and magnet theory, under the light of the "best available science." Unfortunately, the best available science isn't very good. Samples sizes are tiny. Data collection is episodic. Selection, reporting, and confirmation biases are rife. Human subjects know when they're being observed. There are no experimental controls.

The best we can glean from this muddle is a collection of anecdotes, and the anecdotes cut both ways. Recreational boaters do seem to slow down in the vicinity of commercial whale watching boats (lending at least some credence to the sentinel theory), but the number of rec boaters in the vicinity of whales does seem to increase when whale watching boats are present (supporting the magnet theory). Since anecdotes constitute the best available science on this issue, I'll add that the first time I went kayaking with a gray whale, I followed a commercial whale watching boat to locate the whale. Magnet theory confirmed!

WDFW cleverly threads the needle. Without endorsing either the sentinel theory or the magnet theory, WDFW argues that the 1,000-yard rule works regardless of which theory is true—or even if neither is true. Given that whales react more adversely to boats the closer the boats approach, there is a sound basis to set a universal, 1,000-foot yard rule, thus mitigating some possible effects of the magnet theory. Even from 1,000 yards' distance, the commercial whale watchers will still be able to perform their self-appointed eco-guardianship mission, setting a good example for rec boaters and jumping on the radio to warn off rec boaters who violate the limit, so any possible benefits of the sentinel theory are not deprecated.

To my mind, the savviest aspect of the proposed 1,000-yard rule is that it eliminates the discrepancy between the different approach limits for commercial boats (one-half nautical mile) and rec boats (300/400 yards). I suspect one of the commercial whale watchers' main grievances has been that their customers, who paid good money to see some whales, have to squint at the whales from three times the distance as random rec boaters who haven't paid a dime. It's hard to justify selling a commercialized experience when other people are enjoying something way better for free.

I hope the legislature acts on the proposed 1,000-yard statute. In fact, I'd even go farther and apply it to all killer whales. It would spare us having to distinguish the two species on the water, and even if the transient orcas aren't endangered, it wouldn't hurt us to afford them a little bit of solicitude.

Alex

Last edited:
Back