• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Is Vancouver Island becoming the center of sea kayaking?

my guess is that a lot of it has to do with this potential:
BCmarinetrailpotential.jpg

You can get much of the map above from the bc marine trails network website
[www.bcmarinetrails.org], but the image above is also showing sites that are publicly hidden [white circles] due to all manner of considerations that include incomplete information and involve incomplete consultation with other players. Most of the hidden planning sites locations are not identifiable though if you look carefully, you might see a reason that it might have to come down.

[One of the perks of being a director or sector manager of this volunteer enterprise is that you get to see all these sites and their information!!]

the circle colours are based on the legend on the right hand site of the map.

BCmarinetrailpotential2.jpg

My question to all :
Is there a social or economic boom happening in the Vancouver area that is drawing a man and family to move to 1/2 way around the world?
In other words, is there sometime bigger then the Kayak scene happening in the Vancouver area?
What is happening on the ground (and water) in Vancouver?

Roy

My question to all :
Is there a social or economic boom happening in the Vancouver area that is drawing a man and family to move to 1/2 way around the world?
In other words, is there sometime bigger then the Kayak scene happening in the Vancouver area?

Roy
Roy, not really much happening here on VI, bigger than the kayak scene? I would say no at first blush...We moved here from Vancouver to get away from the big city rush, readying ourselves for retirement. Great place for that.So far as economics go, not much at all, so far as social scene, nothing like Vancouver. The Island is quite separate from the big city of Vancouver, and that is the way we like it! It does have a vibrant kayak "scene", if you will, but no big "drivers" for moving here...amen to that!

My question to all :

Roy
I can't say why Gordon Brown would come but I can say that Victoria is thriving. The high tech industry is now the leader in the local economy surpassing tourism. Over 800 small high tech companies on the Island (>400 in Victoria). There has been a remarkable change in the last decade. Being able to paddle from dozens of beaches locally doesn't hurt either.

Found this website looking for something else and thought would confirm yes we are all now on Vancouver Island based in Cobble Hill. Roy222, we moved here permanently last August for multiple reasons (but not the cannabis 'man in qajaq') though we were here for 5 months over the winter of 2016/17 which is when we were all, not just kids, in Duncan. Gordon is working for SKILS and for updates have a look at Sea Kayak Coach. Thanks for the recommendations JKA. Pawplus he will be at PPS. Hope I've answered all the queries. Morag

Back