• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Foot pegs Q

dermot

Paddler
i just got a used P&H corelite Delphin, and it has the orignal black twistlok footpegs in it, i've have these on another boat and they broke frequently, very frequently... easy fix, but one needs to be on shore and have a tool to remove the runner, put the peg back in the runner, put the runner back in the boat... all up half an hour at best

i got a replacement set of revised blue twistlok's for that boat, a warranty replacement, thnx P&H, these seem to be trustworthy, at least they have stayed in place since i got them

So the first thing i did in the new/used Delphin was to adjust the footpegs, and the first thing they did was break off.. <sigh>

called P&H, the free replacement is only on offer to the orignal owner, fair enough...

so what would be the prime choice? some other type of pegs? foam blocks attached to the runners (not the bulkhead) somehow?

it's gonna be a one driver boat, once the pegs are set, i'm good with leaving them in place.

thoughts?

I hear you on the twistlok pegs. Very annoying. P&H should be able to supply a footplate for you - infinitely more comfortable than pegs. Or you could make your own plywood and foam footplate, attaching it to bolts through the existing holes.

A foam footplate is an incredible upgrade if your boat is only for you.

Cheers,
Andrew

i just got a used P&H corelite Delphin, and it has the orignal black twistlok footpegs in it, i've have these on another boat and they broke frequently, very frequently... easy fix, but one needs to be on shore and have a tool to remove the runner, put the peg back in the runner, put the runner back in the boat... all up half an hour at best
so what would be the prime choice? some other type of pegs? foam blocks attached to the runners (not the bulkhead) somehow?

it's gonna be a one driver boat, once the pegs are set, i'm good with leaving them in place.

thoughts?
On my P&H Cetus the bolt spacing for the foot braces is exactly the same as for the Sealect braces on my other kayak. I would check the Delphin but suspect they are the same. They are much beefier so that would be my first choice as a fix/upgrade. < http://sealectdesigns.com/groups/1118-kayak-adjustable-footbrace>

I would install some like Erik the Viking suggested. Even though you will be the only paddler it is always nice to be able to change the footbrace position from time to time. While you are at it, add a foam bulkhead - nothing like belt and suspenders.

Roy

I would go with the Yakima footpegs. I had the same problem on my Chatham 16. Swapped out the plastic rack it came with for the full Yakima system. That was 7 years ago and they've been holding up fine ever since.

Only annoying thing was that metal racks are shorter than the plastics ones so I had to drill a hole. Thankfully same size screws. Put the new racks in the far hole and drilled a hole closer to the seat. I was able to use the screw and locking nut from the plastic rack to close the old hole. Thankfully there was some neoprene left from the old rack still around the hole. Put on an aditional 2 neoprene o-rings and a metal washer. Cut off the remainder of the bolt that was sticking out from the nut then added some epoxy for a smooth surface over the bolt.

https://northwater.com/products/yakima-foot-braces

thanX!!!

does anyone know what the footplate from the Delphin Surf looks like? i've paddled one, once, but never looked at how how the footplate attaches to the hull

the Yakama pegs look pretty solid, not all that moveable, a good thing, i see P&H offer them as an option on the glass boats

the Sealect pegs look alot more solid than the similarly designed TwistLok that P&H uses, i've not moved the pegs in my current boat in a few years now, so the moveablity thing is not a high priority, but staying put is ;-)

Building a footplate might be the best option, if i had the skills, tools and space... alot of "if's" there....

the Yakama pegs look pretty solid, not all that moveable, a good thing..
One feature of the Yakima 'Keepers' footpegs is that you can release them if you can get your toe beyond the footpeg to push the 'unlock' lever. This can also be a disadvantage if you hit that lever during a re-enter and roll or 'hurried' :) wet exit.
On one boat that had those footpegs, I saw that somebody had jammed a small piece of closed cell foam into the adjusting lever to give it a bit more reluctance to move accidentally.

does anyone know what the footplate from the Delphin Surf looks like? i've paddled one, once, but never looked at how how the footplate attaches to the hull

I have one, and I can take a photo later tonight for you.

Building a footplate might be the best option, if i had the skills, tools and space... alot of "if's" there....

My husband's Corelite Delphin has a foot plate that the previous owner installed. It's a huge improvement over the stock pedals. Again, I can take a picture for you.

Here is the stock foot plate in a Surf Spec P&H Delphin 150:
IMG_4276.jpg

And here is the home made foot plate in a Corelite P&H Delphin 155. I can't take credit for this one, as it was made by the previous owner (Rider). This foot plate mimics the Surf Spec one, and works well. It's made from a stiff plastic cut to shape, with aluminum L shaped bars (which I assume are bolted to the plate) which are adjusted with plastic wing nuts. The foot plate is covered with closed cell foam.
IMG_4272.jpg

The home made version only uses two wing nuts to hold the assembly in place, while the Surf Spec version uses four. It seems solid enough, and its a HUGE improvement over the flimsy plastic pedals.

Alana;

Super THANX for the piccies - guess rolling my own is the way to go ;-)

i like the idea of the aluminum L shaped bars + plastic + foam, cool that they can adjust

i've stashed my thermorest & sleeping bag between pegs and the bulkhead in the past, guess i'll have to lose that space for storage with a solid plate in the way

Back