• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Where did you paddle in September, 2018

LAM

Paddler
Just after Labor Day Doug and I and some friends paddled up Pitt Lake for 3 nights. The weather was still quite warm and there was still some smoke in the air from all the forest fires in BC and Washington. We had the whole lake pretty much to ourselves. We were a bit surprised though as the method to pay for parking has changed. It is now cash only, $10.00 per night payable at the Katzie First Nation shack across from the kayak launch.
launch.jpg

Launching Kayaks. There was a school group in all those canoes going up to Widgen Creek.

Spectacular View.jpg

Looking up towards the narrows.

Perspective.jpg

Sitting at the base of the looming rock cliff.
Doug.jpg

Paddling up the West Side.
Top of the Lake.jpg

Top of the Lake.
Dusk.jpg

Looking back to Goose Island at dusk.
Kayaks on a Beach.jpg

Kayaks on the beach
Bad Picture.jpg

I love the big sun colors in this picture.

Lila

Fraser River in the Rain.

We paddled from Port Mann Bridge to Golden Ears Bridge. It started out with just a bit of a spit.
Port Mann Bridge.jpg

Port Mann Bridge
Golden Ears Bridge.jpg

Golden Ears Bridge

A bit of rain.jpg

Real Rain.jpg

Rain.
More Real Rain.jpg

More rain. (pardon the smudge in the centre!) I actually quite enjoy paddling in this kind of rain. It makes me feel tuff.

Lila

Nice shots, Lila! Two questions:

1) where did you camp on Pitt Lake?
2) how many kids were heading up to Wigeon in the canoes?

Thanks,
Andrew

We camped at South Osprey Creek. We wandered along North Osprey for a while looking for a geocache and we were almost sorry that we didn't camp on that side. It was very nice there and there is more romping around room. But we chose South Osprey because the group of students were going to be heading to Osprey Creek in a few days and we thought we would leave the larger campsite for them. It got a bit windy on the day we expected them so they didn't get that far up the lake after all.

There were 12 - 15 kids with the canoes, about 12 to 14 years of age. Funny story, they were from West Van and when someone mistakenly referred to them as being from North Van one student was very quick to correct that they were from WEST Van.

Lila

paddled around our "backyard"- Indian Arm a fair bit, typicaly put in mid- afternoon, avoid the worst of the powerboats and the rental kayaks are back safe and snug, we get the Arm to ourselves as the sunsets and night falls, some piccies from September;
1_00000000.jpg

1100000000.jpg

1400000000.jpg

1600000000.jpg

DSCN3930.JPG

DSCN3937.JPG

DSCN4036.JPG

DSCN3985.JPG

1500000000.jpg

Last edited:
Those all look like awesome trips. :) It's finally cooling off here, so time for some actual trips! Have just been doing rolling and rescue practice this summer.

Took advantage of a sunny fall day to get out sailing on English Bay
Philip Torrens Oct 21 2018-2.jpg
- the first time I've kayak sailed in months (I've been paddling borrowed skeg boats as I've been guiding/instructing.)

Back