• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Kayak Adventures - Summer 2019

sbourgoin

Where the paddle takes me
Afternoon Everyone,

New to the site and excited to read and learn from the vast amount of experiences!

Having recently moved to the Comox Valley last year I have quickly realized that we live in a paddlers mecca, but let's keep that to ourselves shall we!

I am in the process of planning a couple of longer trips for this Summer and early Fall for my 6-year old son and me, plus a couple of smaller weekend trips. Any suggestions for highlights from those having paddled in the area?

I would like to do Desolation Sound August 26-September 8 (8-10 days) by either leaving directly from Comox and paddling to Savary or driving to Lund and leaving from there.

I have found a number of trip reports, but I am wondering if any has advice on campsites for trips in Desolation Sound. I find that planning a trip with a kid you can't just keep paddling until you find the perfect spot! Does anyone have a map of campsites (free or paid)?

Thanks for your time and suggestions,
Shawn and Makani

Check the map at bcmarinetrails.org, click on an icon and usually reams of info, photos and links will show up.
And if you join the organization, all the gps coordinates can be readily downloaded into your gpx for your ease of use - otherwise just cut and paste the coords into whatever you use for mapping.

DI-region.jpg

https://www.bcmarinetrails.org/

For books, you can`t go wrong with the guide books and atlases by John Kimantas from Rainforest Publishing that you`ll find in any kayak store.

Oh no! . . . who's the publisher???

edited to add:
. . . . and you had it, I didn't read your last line.

Having recently moved to the Comox
I would like to do Desolation Sound August 26-September 8 (8-10 days) by either leaving directly from Comox and paddling to Savary or driving to Lund and leaving from there.

Not advisable to paddle from Comox: too long, too boring, too exposed, especially with a child.

Launch from Lund or Okeover, depending on weather. For an 8-10 day trip, look at camping for more than one night at the best spots (Copelands, Curmes). Pushing north can extend the trip.

Cheers,
Andrew

No worries. I raised my two kids (now 20 and 13) in kayaks and canoes on this coast. We had amazing times together and those trips really bonded us in ways that echo to this day. I can think of no better way to spend time with your kids than on paddle trips to places of natural beauty, so I think you absolutely have the right idea.

I made some mistakes along the way and I am very willing to share those, as are most of the old salts on this forum, so that others can have equally amazing (and safe) adventures with their kids.

Cheers,
Andrew

Back