• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Desolation Sound

jefffski

Paddler

5 min video.

My partner and I spent a delightful and calm four days paddling (about 80 km) in Desolation Sound. We launched from Okeover. Because we had a late start (6 p.m.), we just paddled up to Hare Point for dinner and the first night. The second day, we paddled to the Curmes, where we swam, and then when the winds died down at 5 p.m., we paddled over to Prideaux Haven for a looksee. On the third sunny day, we crossed the sound and headed down Malaspina Straight and found a beach-front spot in the Copeland Islands. Up early the next morning, we sped around the point and back down Okeover Inlet, fighting an exiting tide, and stopped at Grace Harbour for a swim in Black Lake. Gotta love lake water! To end the trip, we paddled back to Okeover and our take out.

This is a great trip for those who are just learning about tides and currents because it's very sheltered. Winds do come up in the afternoons, but not like elsewhere.

Notes:
-When you fill in your car etc info on the parking slip and put your money on the envelope ($5/day) don't forget to take out the slip of paper already in the envelope to put on your dash.
-Camping fees are $5 per night per person.
-July and August are busy with paddlers and big boats.
-Carry water or filter water from the many lakes (Unwin, Cassel, Black and the one in Roscoe Bay)--though it's a long carry from the lake to the ocean.
-All camping in the park is on tent pads. There are hooks to attach the tent, so bring cord.

Yah, I haven't had my canoe out for too long. And thanks for all the tips.

Are there two Black Lakes close to each other? I tried to follow your route and saw "Black Lake" at Roscoe Bay Marine Park on Redonda Island. The name of the lake north of Grace Harbor doesn't show up though some maps do say, "Trail to Lake" from Grace Harbor.

Back