• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Spray Skirt with Map Case

Bluefoot

Paddler
Has anyone come up with some way to secure their map case to their spray skirt without impeding the ability to pop the skirt off when needed. Or perhaps there is some manufacturer out there that makes a skirt with a built-in map case? We are trying to figure out ways to make the map more easily viewed and accessible for navigating. Thanks

Some of the Seals skirts have tabs for adding accessory pockets. I'm sure something could easily be rigged up using those tabs.

sea_sprite_detail.jpg
large_aco_gearpocket.jpg

Reed Aquatherm also has an option for 'map loops'
I've considered this for holding my gps.
I carry it on the sprayskirt, just in front of me, and, while it's tethered, when it's rough or I do a 'cool off' roll, I'd rather it stay in place.

I use the Seals one with the Gear Pocket from time to time. Works great. Doesn't get in the way at all. Likely a map case could be attached to the tabs in place of the Seals Gear Pocket.

How wide is your cockpit? Most sprayskirts aren't very wide at the front - do you use small photocopies of chart sections?
Another strategy is to arrange the chart case on the foredeck so that it can 'slide back' into your lap for study.
The 'Axel Schoevers' case has snaps at the front corners which can slide on deck lines. You could arrange something similar with pretty much any chart case, I imagine.
Axel Schoevers chart case.JPG

More details at:
https://shop.bodyboatblade.com/pages/axel-schoevers-chart-case-guide

Thank you for those suggestions. I do use small photocopied sections of the charts I use. I probably stay "in touch" with my chart more than most folks, a habit I developed from competitive orienteering. Thank you again.

Back