2015 WCP Spring Campout - NEW DATE!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Dan_Millsip, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Re: 2015 WCP Spring Campout

At most, the currents in John's Passage (where you're describing) can make for an energetic paddle but nothing too nutty. I haven't looked at tide or current tables for the area but some time just after slack tide you should be fine. Note that slack tide doesn't happen at the same time as slack current - depending on how much tidal swing there is, it can take some time for the currents to 'catch up' with what the tides are doing. So, if you arrive at the entrance to the passage some time shortly after high tide and there's still some current, my guess is that it will still be going north through there and will likely be easing (so grab a ride while you can!).

This is just based on my experience - I haven't checked tides or currents yet for this weekend and ultimately you have to make a decision based on your own comfort and skill levels. It's always best to sit and watch a while to see what the current is doing at any particular spot, and you can bow out if you're not comfortable with what you see (or if it's building etc.).

2. Rachel_M

Rachel_M Paddler

Just a little info for those heading out - we were at Portland this past weekend for a shake down of some new kit. There was not a raccoon in sight! No idea what has happened as they are usually rampant. However, the bugs were bad. Really, really bad. Take a head net and bug spray!

Rachel

3. Gary Jacek

Gary Jacek Paddler

For those crossing from Swartz Bay tonight, you'll have quite the tailwind.

And re the raccoons...it wasn't me. Honest! :wink:

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

It sounds great! Wish I could be there!

5. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Is the pavilion set up yet? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Remember that year I came right after double knee surgery and needed some help moving my boat and gear? :oops: :oops:

Well, if I am going to come, I will need some minor assistance again. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Either that, or I will just camp on that little strip of sandy beach and stay in that exposed location through the wind and rain storms (looking up at all of you with sad pathetic eyes). :yikes:

6. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I woke up in the night with snuffles and coughs, so I'm going to postpone coming out today. I'm hoping to be well enough to come tomorrow. Will keep Dan posted via text (I remember from previous trips we get cell reception on the Point).

7. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Looks like I won't get away until tomorrow as well.

8. Gary Jacek

Gary Jacek Paddler

I imagine GregN is already slung in his hammock at Arbutus Point, embellishing his yarn at this very moment. :D

My getaway has been somewhat slowed this year by the mountain of my son's possessions cached in our garage.

I hope to launch out of Swartz Bay government dock near midday on Friday, wind and available parking permitting. The early bird will of course be rewarded with contrary currents.

9. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

CRAP!!! I am out...totally bogged down on work, new job, gotta make it work...
    Enjoy time under the Pavillion, have one for me.
    :cry:

10. Dan_Millsip

Too bad you're not going to make it Rodney -- it's looking like a good day for a paddle.

11. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Damn! I'm so coughy and wheezy that I'm gonna have to bail. So guys - I was really looking forward to it. But I'm not up for it, and you don't need a plague paddler at the gathering.

12. chodups

chodups Paddler

Plague Paddler............Another kayakwriter gem that I will shamelessly steal!

13. Dan_Millsip

Well, the three of us who were left confirmed for the weekend have talked and decided to postpone the trip because Sheila and I both have things that are regrettably making it difficult to get away (admittedly, Gary had his boat on the car and was ready to go).

So... is there any interest in setting a new date?

14. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Oh yes, baby!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I got my boat on the car, and my gear in Ikea bags, then could not longer bear any weight on my right leg. Stress fractures suck BTW. I was happy that we were postponing, rather than bringing morphine on a paddling trip.

I am up for a fall adventure, any location. I do love Portland for group gatherings though.

Guess now I get to stay at home, with my blanket and legs up, eating the forbidden food (chocolate!) I bought for the trip and enjoying the 3 litre box of wine I bought to share with the rock fish chowder I was going to make for the potluck. And YES I was going to catch the fish too!! :hug :hug :hug

Guess the weekend just couldn't happen without Kayakwriter. :big_thumb

Hmm, should I leave my stuff in the living room until the next adventure?

15. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Well, it's obviously not true that it couldn't happen without me - it has before (once!) It's even happened without Dan (once!)

But in a selfish sorta way, I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom things were just not coming together, 'cos it means I have another shot at seeing you all. So yeah, totally into rescheduling, whether for later in the spring and/or this fall.

16. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

How is the June 13 weekend for everyone? If that does not work, suggest alternate June or September dates.

I just wanted some of Kayakwriter infamous stories and food.

17. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Works for me. I've added it to my calender.

Is infamous food a good thing?

18. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

Glad I checked. I was all set to paddle out for the afternoon tomorrow. Maybe I will stick to the usual Cadboro Bay based paddles.

19. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Well, in a way this is good news..
    I do have a boatload of raffle tiks for a lovely arctic tern still to peddle, so yeah, lets try later this spring.If it is as late as June, so be it!
    suggested dates are:June 6-7, or 13-14, may is totally booked for me...
    Let the survey begin, and lets not leave to the fall.
    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

20. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

What are we, chopped liver?!

Oh well, more yummy home-smoked sockeye salmon for us! Hope Mike and Scott are able to come out for a day paddle... (and anyone else who wants to)!