Anyone build a rooftop kayak hoist? Ideas...i'm simple lol

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pointbob, May 12, 2019.

1. pointbob

pointbob Paddler

Hey all

So there is an opportunity at my building to get a 3d floor penthouse apt. The whole roof (pretty flat) would be mine. It has some appeal but I have a 20 ft tandem (80lbs) kayak I don't want to put into storage...

so any ideas on how to hoist it up 35 feet from the side of building. I imagine the hoist would have to swing out at least 8 feet away from the building and then raise the kayak up. Electrical would be nice but not necessary.

Any thoughts...

2. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Back in the day I lived in a 2nd floor apt and used to haul my medium sized kayak up to the balcony from below fairly frequently. However a 3rd floor apt roof = 4 floors so I think some sort of handwinch might be best - if that's really a good frequent solution?
    The issue is what's below that could get hurt or damaged or can the kayak get damaged? - possibly the best solution is selling for a take-apart or SOF or folder or 2 indestructible plastic boats until location circumstances more suit a heavy tandem espec if composite.
    If there's damage or danger potential, I'd be careful.

JohnAbercrombie likes this.
  3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I think a chat with your landlord or condo/strata management will clarify the situation. There are lots of scenarios where a failure of a hoist system, or even wind during hoist or lowering, could result in injury to passers-by or the building.
    Storage of the tandem (or even driving around with it on the roof of the vehicle, full-time) would be a better option, I think.
    This is different from the stories of one-time lowering of newly built boats from balconies and attics, which are 'neighbourhood events'.

4. designer

designer Paddler

I'm guessing you've already looked into a "lower down" solution - like above where your car is parked - assuming you have a roof over the car/truck. And the only advice I have there, is to plan it with the garage door up, not down.

5. pointbob

pointbob Paddler

thanks all.

6. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Another option might be 'storing' your kayak at some acquaintance's [like say a club member] who has space to store and while having the use of it while you go with some lighter option in the meantime - because most apt living is not permanent. I stored a kayak for an acquaintance [I'd met maybe once and conversed maybe 3x - web acquaintancing is wierd, huh?] for probably 4 years until recently [and used it as a convenient loaner for other family members] maybe someone could do that for you?
    The other thought I had was if the kayak was just to be stored on the roof, a one or two time solution should be fine with just about any winch or two line setup as long as you knew there wasn't anything much below. I wouldn't think that anything much more than a couple of feet outhang would be necessary [boat on ctrline, half of breadth less than 1.5 feet, and no wind]. Leave it up there until you leave or next year's trip and rent or folder in the meantime.
    Heck, use the roof to build a couple of cheap folders and leave it for the next guy to deal with!

7. dermot

dermot Paddler

i'm on the board for my condo, we'd want to see a design signed off by a P_Eng, and licened/bonded trades people on any proposal

+ under the condo act no common area can be used for the exclusive use of one member, rooftops are common area typicaly

some small things to be aware of....

we have two cars, one is our "kayak carrier", a Volvo wagon low enough to pull into the underground with kayaks on the roof safely, we just leave our plastic day/play boats on the roof of the car 24/7/365, flipped upside down so they don't oil can, and locked

our bigger / glass boats are in storage nearby, as we only want access to them a few week of the year

8. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

You probably do not want to store it on the roof because of high heat in the summer.
    Simple is some times the best, some times not?
    Two guys and two ropes - reverse of mountain climbing.
    This is probably your only and not so good option.

Roy