Black mold

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Man in qajaq, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Man in qajaq

Man in qajaq Paddler

All my gear is stored out in the unheated workshop. Because it's unheated, gear takes a long time to dry out when temperatures are cold. now over a couple seasons black mold has taken up residence in my pfd fabric. I discovered a tent has it too.
    Anyway to remove it?
    Standard washing machine does nothing to it.

2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

3. Man in qajaq

Man in qajaq Paddler

I haven't tried any commercial mildew removers yet.
    The mold started just as a few specks, but over time slowly progressed to the point where it became " holy crap! Look at it now!".
    Thanks John, I'll try something commercial on it. And see how it does.

I'll see if I can somehow start drying it all in the warm house without getting 'heat' from the wife.

4. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

I would lean towards the HD version vs. CTC's as the latter seems to contain bleach which may not be good for the fabric. Or maybe one of the enzyme based odour eater products like used on wetsuits would kill the mold.

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

MIQ, try one of the perborate-based bleaches. The chlorine-based bleaches will definitely damage most PFDs. Read the labels carefully and do a spot test on a nonstructural part of the PFD. Oxiclean is the brand we use, and they list a contact number for assistance: 1-800-781-7529 M-F 9-5 Eastern Time.

I have a severe mold allergy, whuch mandates we keep our house mold free, and that I work and sleep only in areas free of mold. That is not easy to do. I suspect that your storage area is heavily contaminated with spores, such that storage out there will reinoculate any fabric-containing gear pretty quickly. Days of yore, housekeepers did a serious wash and scrub of all the walls and floors of living spaces each spring. If you take that tack, you might get a lot of points by pointing out that your storage space will soon be cleaner than the house, and that your spouse could follow your example. ;):)

PS: if you take that advice, be sure to give us an address at the hospital so we will know where to send the get well cards, okay? ;)

6. designer

designer Paddler

... and start planning for a cot or hammock supports in your storage area.

Astoriadave likes this.
  7. rider

rider Paddler

Be careful if using any kind of a bleach type product. I remember back at the car dealership I used to work at ages ago we used this product that would just about eat the fabric if left on too long....