Blackberry Point Valdes question

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Swimmy Tim, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Swimmy Tim

Swimmy Tim New Member

A post from 2018 stated that Blackberry Point was closed to camping. Is this still the case and it is closed? If it is open, is there water there? Thanks.

2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

AFAIK, Blackberry is closed 'permanently' by the current landowner (leaseholder?) until something changes.

Also, AFAIK there was never (non-salt) water at Blackberry. I don't know about water options in that area.

ParksBC put concrete in the pump at Wallace some years ago, so there's no fresh water there any more.

3. AM

AM Paddler

There is still a pump at Dionisio, though the water must be boiled/treated. That's really the only public resupply in the whole area until you get down to Beaver Point/Ruckle Park on Saltspring. As John said, both BC Parks and Parks Canada have closed down all the other pumps (DeCourcey, Wallace, Portland Island) because they are not willing to spend the money servicing/testing them.

I don't know if Crazy Pete still lives on Valdes, but when I spoke to him a few years ago he said he knew a few freshwater springs on the island, but probably nowhere near where paddlers go.

Cheers,
    Andrew

4. Swimmy Tim

Swimmy Tim New Member

Thanks gents. Looks like it'll be plan B.

5. MarkV

MarkV New Member

Water's available from a pump on South beach / DeCourcey.
    Not sure if there's a boil advisory , but I drank some the other day , and I survived !

6. designer

designer Paddler

I was at Pirate's Cove two weeks or so ago. The pump worked fine and there was no "Boil Water" warning. Years ago, when I was at Dionisio, I asked the park host about the Boil Warning there. He said they test for things and if this one thing was more than something like 1 ppm the testing crew had to post the warning. He said the "cootie" tested at 2 ppm - not enough for him to worry about and he'd been drinking the water for months without a problem.

I'd still purify the water if there was a warning, but the warning could be there because the water just barely misses a test criteria, not because it contains dead rats.

In you continue along up the shore from blackberry, you'll come to a small fresh water creek - again, some years ago. When I was there in late summer, it was almost dried up, brackish. But it was water. There was a nice bluff nearby for camping. however it was in an area where you needed to get permission. I tried to contact the "tribe" for a future trip one time and never heard back. Pirate's Cove is just a short distance further and closer to Silva Bay (commercial food, maybe laundry and showers).

JohnAbercrombie likes this.