• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Book: Whitewater Trips and Hot Springs in the Kootenays of BC

jefffski

Paddler
Looking to borrow a copy of Whitewater Trips and Hot Springs in the Kootenays of BC By Betty Pratt-Johnson, Published by Adventure Publishing of Vancouver/Seattle.

I'm in Vancouver BC.

Also, I'm interested in water levels in the Kootenay River from Settler's Bridge to Canal Flats in early to mid May.

Thanks

Hi Jeff

My brother (also a Jeff) first paddled a canoe from Settlers Bridge to the Canal Flat Bridge when he was 14 (45 years ago!) and since that time has paddled from there and from the 20 mile bridge to the CF Bridge many times.

I asked him what he thought the water might be like in mid May.. he says “the river could be ripping pretty good by then and anyone paddling it should be prepared for lots of class 3 water with a touch of class 4. It is all canyon from Settlers Bridge to 20 mile Bridge. A spray deck (if in a canoe) is a must. “ He strongly suggests that at least 2 canoes (or kayaks) go together as the most knarly part of this trip is through the canyon and there are no spots to get out. So if there are any issues a buddy in another boat can be a life saver.

However, having said that, he also mentions that this year they have had very little snow so the run off might not be so bad. But, then again, that river can change overnight if there is lots of rain around that time. It is quite un-predictable and very weather dependant.

He suggests that two days should be taken to paddle from Settlers Bridge to Canal Flat Bridge with an overnight camp in the 20 mile Bridge area. You can run it in one day if all goes perfectly and you start very early in the morning and plan to pull out at CF Bridge very late evening.

He also mentions that the Settlers Bridge to 20 mile Bridge run has become pretty popular now with fishing boats /rafting companies/sea-doos.

He says in mid July the water is still pretty high and fast and this is a good time to go. In early August the water clears really nice and is great for some fishing. The water level falls in late August and there are more rocks and sand bars to deal with but still a very nice time to go, same for September.

If you go I will be very interested in your trip report.

Lila

Excellent report. That is what I discovered from more research. May is very iffy and August is a safer time to go. Thanks for confirming my fears about May.

Back