Bought a Canon 2S iS - now what?

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by ztar, Oct 12, 2005.

1. ztar

ztar Paddler

Thanks to all the members of this forum for the informative discussions of cameras. Based on what I read here and much research, I opted for the Canon 2S iS.

So far, I'm overwhelmed by all the options (and the quality I can wring out of it -- compared to the HP215 I was using before).

With my HP215 on the kayak, my attitude was rather cavalier. The new Canon likely deserves/needs more cautious treatment. Now that I have the camera, what would members of this forum recommend re precautions I should take (aside from skooting under low-hanging docks around Granville Island <GRIN>).

Thanks

2. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

3. ztar

ztar Paddler

That sounds prudent.

My next query may sound simple, but I never "worried" when I was using my HP215; what "tricks" do you more experienced kayakers and photographers have regarding keeping the camera both handy and dry and safe?

As you can see, I'm a bit paranoid with my new baby.

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

After shelling out my lifes savings for the S2is, I couldn't afford a Pelican case so I've customized (with foam) a waterproof Lock-n-Lock container to store the camera, spare batteries, memory cards and a few filters. While in the kayak, I keep it in a variety of places depending on how much there is to photograph (ie doing a crossing vs paddling a shoreline) and what the conditions are like. If seas are lumpy, I'll keep it in the lock-n-lock in the day hatch, and grab it when I need it. In calmer seas but rainy weather, I'll usually keep it handy in my knee tube - so I can grab it quite quickly by popping the spray deck. In good weather, I'll hang it around my neck with just an old ever-ready case (from an old 35mm SLR) to protect if from the odd paddle drip etc. Of course, I paddle very gingerly when it's in this position, but I get lots of good shots as it's quick and easy to snap a few shots.

None of these are ideal - I'm really hoping that Canon will eventually make one of their wonderful waterproof housings for it, although they have not indicated so far that anything is in the works for such a thing.

5. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Yup that housing kicks butt. I just tie my camera to the deck and let it drag in the water :wink:

6. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Wow, ztar! That's a lot of camera: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s2is.html

I use an old Olympus 2 Megapixel unit, and keep it in a MicroCase from Pelican, on the deck, so it's handy. If it craters, I figure that will be an excuse to upgrade.

But, I don't think I'd feel very secure with a camera as large as the S2 iS in a MicroCase. At 4.45 x 3.07 x 2.97 in, I suspect I'd go for a larger Pelican case and lash it to my deck.

I'll be eager to see your photos!

8. ztar

ztar Paddler

That was my "hope" with my HP215: that it would go for a swim so I'd have an excuse to upgrade. However, there were three factors that prompted me to go for an earlier upgrade: (1) my daughter kept complaining, "Dad, is that all you ever take: landscape shots!?", (2) I was tired of saying, "Now, you see that dot way over there? Well that's a seal/heron/racoon.", and (3) a few guys on this forum seemed very high on the 2sis and the 1sis predecessor -- they made a compelling case, as did the pics on the beautiful trip reports here on WCPaddler.

9. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

LOL - you will be very happy with it. Hopefully Canon will catch up and produce the waterproof housing that we have for our S1's - in the meantime an Otter Box, Pelican Case or Underwater Kinetics Dry Box will keep it safe.....while it's in the box :p

10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I have not been paying attention to the gear you guys use to get all the great photos -- are you all pretty pleased with your S1's? For most of what I do, an S1 would suffice, I believe, and at about $200 cheaper than the S2, I might be tempted. And, what housing are you using? Thanks a heap.

11. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I love my s1
    this is the housing
    [​IMG]

12. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Yeah - what prisoner 4-119-02 said

13. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

I had no idea that I was camping with a convicted felon... All those episodes of Oz I watched might have come in handy. :wink:

14. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I'm wanted for assault and battery of my hull... 8O

15. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Well that truly is a victimless crime, so I, for one, forgive you... :wink:

16. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler