• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

bow rudder, euro vs. Greenland paddle

drahcir

Paddler
I find that my bow rudder with a euro paddle is more effective than with a Greenland paddle. Is this as expected or can someone shed more light on this?

I don't paddle with a stick, but would assume the size of the Euro blade would make it more effective than the Greenland blade. I may be wrong, this is just an observation of area of blade vs hydrodynamics.
I wonder do you have the same "issue" with a stern rudder? I would think not as much, as you can probably get more (Greenland) blade in the water doing a stern rudder, vs a bow rudder. I am now curious as to what some paddlers that use stick would think...

I think the euro blade is capable of great precision. Because of the science behind its design. Which is not to say that the stick isn't. But so much more depends on not only the paddler's skill, but the blade itself. So many Greenland paddles are carved with very blunt edges and flat blades. It's going to be difficult to be precise with that...

Back