Boyles Point

Discussion in 'BC MARINE TRAILS NETWORK - Assistance Required' started by Denis Dwyer, May 11, 2013.

1. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

Boyles Point

50° 49.061N x 127° 01.077W

Boyles Point is located along the northern shoreline of Queen Charlotte Strait near the entrance to Wells Passage.
    I had not planned on staying at this spot but bad weather and the fact that there was no other possible place to camp anywhere nearby made this my only option.
    This site is solid rock with gently sloping sides and a relatively flat spot on top to camp.
    There is a large notch in the rock where a kayak can be loaded and unloaded fairly easily at mid to high tide levels.
    There are few places to anchor a tent but some cracks in the rock and a little creative campsite engineering allowed me to set up a tarp for shelter.
    At low tide it is possible to walk to the mainland. At high tide the rock is surrounded by water.
    With an overnight high tide of 19.5 feet (5.9 meters) I still had 5 feet (1.5 meters) of clearance.
    Views across Queen Charlotte Strait and Labouchere Passage are spectacular from Boyles Point.
    I saw no fresh water source while camped here but I did have cell phone service.

Boyles Point on Google Earth
    [​IMG]

My camp on the rock at Boyles Point
    [​IMG]

The view from the rock at Boyles Point looks out across Queen Charlotte Strait to Vancouver Island in the distance.
    [​IMG]

This notch in the rock makes landing and launching at mid to high tide a bit easier.
    [​IMG]

I believe these are the Numas Islands in Queen Charlotte Strait as seen from Boyles Point.
    [​IMG]

2. Nick Heath

Nick Heath Paddler

I think a preferred site at Boyles Pt is close by in the bay to the N. It is used annually by a school party from Vancouver.
    From the BCMTNA inventory of sites:

Boyles Point
    Primary Campsite
    Coordinates: lat: 50° 49.123' long: -127° 0.923'
    Tenure: Provincial Forest
    Tent Sites: 6
    Landing Comments: Easy, sand below, boulders and drift logs at higher water. Enter bay to E of boomer. Strong currents in Wells Passage.
    Camp Comments: Undeveloped small upland sites in forest.
    Other Comments: Routinely used by outdoor school.

Attached Files:

3. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

Nick
    Thanks for that update.
    The spot you mention is just around the corner from the spot where I camped as can be seen on this Google Earth image.
    I passed right by that spot and did not recognize it as a potential campsite.
    Thanks for the updated information; I have marked my chart with the new coordinates.
    Denis
    [​IMG]