Canoes in the Charlotte's

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Komatiq, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Hi folks, hoping someone out there may know where a fellow from the East can beg, borrow or rent a canoe in the Charlotte's in September?

He has some solid references and is willing to exchange some chantrelles and smoked salmon if there is any interest......... :D

If you can help out PM me and and pass along the info.

Thanks,

2. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

3. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

(Emphasis mine). I don't think you'll get very far with a bribe like that up in the Charlottes. :wink:

There are a few kayak rental places up there but in all my years working there, I don't think I've seen a canoe anywhere but at the museum in Skidegate. Try Dave's advice. Maybe a phone # for the local chamber of commerce? Heck, call one of the motels and ask them.

4. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Thanks a ton guy's........ passed along a link to this site for the fellow in Ottawa so he can "visit" and check the replies.

Keep 'em comin.......... :D

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I've done quite a bit of paddling on Moresby and in Gwaii Haanas, and unless you mean a decked canoe, I'd suggest you consider a kayak, instead. The link Dave B posted is where I would start, also. September is pretty much the end of their season, and they should have plenty of boats to rent.

6. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Good point - can you give us an idea of where you're planning on paddling up there? There are some protected areas, but venturing south into the park isn't something I'd consider in a canoe.

7. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

The fellow that posted the request on the Canadian Canoe Routes forum mentioned he'll be staying on Skidegate Lake so there isn't a problem with a decked canoe I wouldn't think.

I posted in his behalf in the off chance someone here may know the area or someone that lives there who maybe able to point him in the right direction.

Just a paddler trying to help out another paddler......... :D

Thanks for taking the time to respond folks, greatly appreciated.

8. solopaddler

solopaddler New Member

i'm the fellow from the east (ottawa)

First of all, I'd like to thank komatiq for forwarding my interest in procuring the use of a canoe while I'm in the Charlottes onto this web site.....it is much appreciated. Thank you to all who have forwarded their advice. I've yet to find a canoe, but I feel hopeful. All of my paddling will be on the inland waters of Skidegate Lake, so no need to worry about spray decks. I'm just trying to find a way to cross this small lake to access the great patches of Chanterelles on the other side, as there is no road access around the lake. I've had a canoe out there before, however, this year I'm flying out to the islands, making bringing a canoe an impossibility. So far, in calling outfitters, finding anything other than a kayak is proving to be quite a challenge, as andy ferguson figured.

Thanks again to everyone who has tuned in to my quest. Let me know if you think of anything.

Cheers,

Rick

9. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Cheers,

10. solopaddler

solopaddler New Member

ANyone.?.?.?.?.time is getting short and i've yet to find the use of a canoe......please please help if you can.....i'm getting a bit nervous....help

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler