• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Cdn source for marine webbing and deck line?

eriktheviking

Paddler
Can anyone suggest a Canadian online-order source for polypropylene webbing (1") and deck line (1/4")? Even better would be a place that has other common fittings (e.g. ss hardware etc) as well. The American sources have expensive shipping and I would prefer something Canadian if possible. I want to re-do the deck lines and hatch straps on my wood kayak during the off-season. I am not close to any major cities, so online ordering is a must.
TIA- Erik

I ordered poly webbing from JTs Top Shop in 2012. Shipping was $15 on 200 ft of 3/4" and $14 on 110 ft of 1" webbing (separate orders).
Webbing was cheap, 13¢ per foot for 1" and 6¢ per foot for 3/4"

Apparently the place has been renamed to JT's Outdoor Fabrics

http://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/produc ... nd=0&page=
current price is 9¢ a foot for 1.3mm thick 1" wide and 16¢ for 2.3mm thick 1" wide.

What exactly are you looking for? I have some webbing, buckles, etc., that I do not use on my new kayaks anymore. Will let it go for real cheap. These items are not necessarily shown on my online store as they have been in a box in my shop for years.

nootka said:
Apparently the place has been renamed to JT's Outdoor Fabrics

http://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/produc ... nd=0&page=
current price is 9¢ a foot for 1.3mm thick 1" wide and 16¢ for 2.3mm thick 1" wide.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered 1" 1.75mm webbing, 1/4" poly deck cord and 1/4" shock cord and it arrived here a week and a day later. Looks good for my needs, and I have enough to do at least 2 refits.

Does anybody know a canadian source for 3/4" tri glides? (preferably heavy duty, I'd even consider stainless)
MEC no longer carries them.
I don't want to pay a $$ brokerage fee for some from the US.

nootka said:
Does anybody know a canadian source for 3/4" tri glides? (preferably heavy duty, I'd even consider stainless)
MEC no longer carries them.
I don't want to pay a $$ brokerage fee for some from the US.
It sounds like Rod can help you out; good!
Most of those fasteners are made in China nowadays, so I go directly to Ebay when I need small quantities. 20mm (3/4) triglides, 10 pcs for $4.50 CAD, free shipping when I looked just now.

In the US, diygearsupply is excellent (0.18 each for those triglides) - he'd probably ship to you in an envelope. I never have to pay service charge or taxes on small shipments sent by USPS/CanadaPost from the US. Best to email him, though his web store works well.

I got lots of them as I don't use them anymore for kayaks. Buckles, ladder locks, tri-glides, etc. 3/4" and even some 1" All plastic though and i don't know what would constitute heavy duty. Just pay for the postage and they are yours.

NorthIslandKayak said:
Your local fastener supply store is also a great resource. My local is Fastenal. They have many different grades of SS hardware. Tell them where you use it, immersed in salt water, and they will help find nuts bolts washers and screws. Usually cheaper than the local marine store.

Buyer beware: The last time I got SS fasteners from Fastenal Victoria - about a $40 order - they tacked on a $15 'freight charge'.
The counter guys were amazed (in a rude way) when I objected...."somebody has to pay for the truck that brings our stock from the USA!"
then...moaning..."Well, if you want it that way, I suppose we'll have to put the freight charge on the quote next time, just for you..."

Obviously they have gotten too accustomed to commercial/government/DND orders where nobody cares about the price...."just put it on the account".....

There is no Canadian equivalent to McMaster-Carr? I live in a town where there is a terrific industrial supply store, so I get all my SS fasteners there, but for rare stuff, M-C does the job well.

Astoriadave said:
There is no Canadian equivalent to McMaster-Carr? I live in a town where there is a terrific industrial supply store, so I get all my SS fasteners there, but for rare stuff, M-C does the job well.

Not that I've found. Acklands Grainger pretends to be like McMaster Carr, but they are only interested in commercial accounts (where the price doesn't matter, apparently). If I enjoyed paying 50-100% more than the other 'trades' customers, I'd shop there often. It's like the 'bad old days' in Canada when I couldn't buy electrical or plumbing parts. Home Depot changed that situation. :big_thumb

McMaster-Carr used to ship to 'ordinary people' in Canada but quit years ago. I got a few orders from them in the mid-00s and then no more.

Back