Composite Kayak Roof Rack - stackers

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Water Horse, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Water Horse

Water Horse Paddler

Something in my memory suggests that putting composite kayaks on their sides using a stacker on a roof rack is a bad idea. Is that correct? However, I just did a search and can't find anything on that. My son wants to put his composite kayak on its side wtih a Malone Stax Pro2 so he can fit more kayaks on his trailer. Any concerns with that?

Is that a good brand/model to go with?

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I've seen it done all the time. Probably better to add foam blocks, pipe insulation, surf board pads, or the like on the cross bars. One guy I paddle with a lot also uses rectangles of foam (like cut up yoga mats or the like - like 1'x2' in size) to place between composite boats as they stack next to each other.

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

There are lots of readymade cradles that hold kayaks that way. If your "cradling system" strappage is bombproof, and will hold the boats in place if just one line/strap fails, should be fine. Somewhere in your system, you need to have a vertical post/pipe/two by four that is anchored to a crossbar to maintain a vertical stance, or the whole thing might "squash" and fail.

I think if you make a multi-layer sandwich of foam and boats, securely strapped together, you could anchor the whole assembly to crossbars, and get away from the need for a vertical post/pipe ...