Contact tow line

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by pawsplus, Oct 3, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Does anyone have instructions on making one? I've seen them, but I'm unsure what type of clips and rope should be used, and the length. This is for the short tow line for contact towing that lives on the deck just in front of the cockpit.

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

This looks simple. Does anyone know where I can find the shrink wrap stuff and the thingies that he uses to crimp the line after putting it through the carabiner eye?? Marine store?? What are the crimpie things called? He says in the video but my sound is crappy and I can't hear what he's saying.

3. JKA

JKA Paddler

4. red kite

red kite Paddler

He uses hog rings. Stainless version from here, for example: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--hogrings-for-shock-cord--P002_068_004_507

Heat shrink should be available in the electrical department of your hardware store.

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Paws, that heat shrink stuff is in better marine supply outlets, as "adhesive lined heat shrink tubing." If you provide me with the diameter of the line, I can grab a couple packages, red or black, and swiftly mail them to you. Or, steal from my stash. I have yards of the common sizes.

PS: A hair dryer is not hot enough. Borrow somebody's industrial heat gun, or practice using a candle flame. The latter is easier than it sounds.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I think I'm going to tie it instead. But thanks! :)

Astoriadave likes this.