• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Current Canadian Crossing requirements

cougarmeat

Paddler
Alex, what did it take to get across the border on President's Day? Last I heard, you needed to show your vaccine card (two shots and a booster), and a test result within 72 hours. Maybe they dropped the "real need to get in" criteria?

It would be great if one only needed to flash their shot card. Maybe this summer, that will go away too?

Hello - As a BC resident, what people are describing in the online forum I'm a member of (school-related Covid cases and policies) is that one has to have tested negative at a pharmacy-administered or someplace similar/legitimate just prior to arrival - in addition to having received at least 2 doses of an approved vaccine. Just don't call it "President's Day" when you cross the border, but "Family Long Weekend" ; )

Paul, the entry requirements change all the time. A new, less strict set of requirements is about to enter effect Feb. 28.

When I crossed on Feb. 18, I had to have:

• Pre-entry test results
  • ArriveCAN receipt with letter I or, V, or A beside the vaccinated traveller’s name
  • Proof of vaccination that was uploaded into ArriveCAN (original or paper copy)
  • Have a quarantine plan in case of positive results
  • Travel document entered in ArriveCAN (e.g. passport)
The most onerous part was the pre-entry test requirement, from a test taken less than 72 hours prior to entry. At least here in Seattle, the free test administrators do not guarantee results within 72 hours. That means you need to pay out of pocket for a test that does guarantee results within 72 hours. Rapid anti-gen tests were not acceptable for this purpose; it had to be a PCR test. As I recall, the cost for a PCR test with guaranteed 72-hour turnaround was around $140. The 72-hour turnaround places did not accept insurance - unsurprising since the tests they give are for travel purposes, not medical necessity.

Again, all this is set to change tomorrow, and for the better. Assuming there is still a testing requirement, the main thing is finding a testing place that can guarantee results within whatever timespan the border authority requires.

Alex

Reactions: CPS
The acceptance of a rapid antigen test may be the most notable change. Again, this has to be conducted w/in the previous 72 hours at a pharmacy, etc., i.e. not self-administered.

"Starting February 28, 2022, there will be updates to Canada's border measures. Changes include:
  • Travellers will have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result, purchased and& administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service, to meet pre-entry requirements"

Rapid Antijen test within 24 hours of arriving at the border and other documents uploaded to the ArriveCan App;. Not easy to cross yet. Canada is at a higher level of vaccination and lower level of infection for the population than in the US and it is not yet easy to get a rapid test administered by a recognized health service provider to date. My wife and I just cancelled our first trip to the family cottage in the San Juan Islands due to the inability to book the required rapid test within 24 hrs of returning to Canada. Hopefully that will get easier in the next few weeks.,

Rick, per the website, you still have the option to do a PCR test within 72 hours of arriving at the border (plus other docs uploaded). So if you can't find rapid antigen within 24 hours, maybe PCR within 72 might be easier for you.

It appears most of the testing places close to the San Juans offer free antigen and/or PCR testing but only for symptomatic or exposed people, not for travelers.

However, it looks like Schaffner Pharmacy in Sedro Woolly will give you a rapid antigen test for travel purposes for $49 or a rapid PCR test for travel purposes for $250. The rapid antigen results are available within 20 minutes. There seem to be plenty of appointments available. Driving back from the San Juans to BC, Schaffner Pharmacy would be just a few minutes out of your way. Link.

Alex

Last edited:
Thanks Alex. We ended up going to Vancouver Island to visit friends instead. The cost of the PCR is a bit dear for two of us, that is why we thought we might be able to go if we could get the Antigen test. The problem was not so much booking a test, it was that we had to return on the Sunday and no outlet was doing travel testing on the weekend. We would have had to get the test done on Saturday. I expect as time goes on, it will become easier to get an Antigen test for travel. We will likely have another go in April.

PS - There were quite a few Washington State Licence plates on the Ferries last week.

Cheers, Rick

We had friends visit Sandpoint, ID from Vancouver Island, who returned to Canada last Sunday (March 6, 2022). They got Antigen tests for that return from our local Safeway pharmacy. These needed to be scheduled ahead of time at scheduletest.com, an Albertsons site. These were $99 per person. The submittal form wasn't very flexible, so they used our address. Their results were then emailed to them. They were allowed to use their Canadian drivers' licenses as identification at the pharmacy.

Back