• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Current Designs sold - future plan is to bypass dealers with 'direct to customer' model?

It's an interesting development for sure. The paddlesports industry started to hear the news several months ago. It will be interesting to see how things unfold.

At work we didn't order any more Current Designs for the 2023 season, as we felt they had already priced themselves into an ultra-premium category and the quality wasn't quite in that same tier. Hopefully the new ownership does some good, but it's a matter of wait-and-see.

As someone with experience shipping kayaks across the continent, it's a real pain in the keister. I don't really see how they'll be able to make it work at scale.

It's the "essence of Shibui" that really drives the pricing up.
I saw that, too. :)
It is all a bit baffling to me - Sanborn Canoe - the new owners of CD- seems to have been a small producer of custom wood-strip canoes? Google turns up a picture of a pretty modest building. Even with the decline in sea kayak production, I would have thought that taking over the CD operation (and order book?) would have been a 'big deal'.

Some key comments from this Paddling.com forum thread:

"Sanborn Canoe will be buying the manufacturing rights for all lightweight composite kayaks to manufacturer and sell. Still will be made in WI."

"Sanborn bought Merrimack Canoes a few years ago and moved them from Tennessee to Minnesota. Lots of moves for a company that started as a canoe paddle manufacturer."

Sanborn's first blog post about acquisition:

The plastic boats, like the Karla, have become popular around San Francisco Bay Area recently. Supposedly Sanborn has the molds, but sounds like they don't plan to use. Hopefully they sell to someone who does.

The plastic boats, like the Karla, have become popular around San Francisco Bay Area recently.
Karla is either glass or Arimid:

hope the build quality of Sandborn matches the design of the boat

with our early glass SisuLV we pealed off 12" of gelcoat on a pretty minor rock hit in the Deer group, fortunatly on the last hour, of the last day of a play week, and within eyesight of Bamfeild, so no trip trashing damage, but coulda been a big bummer if it happened on day one

an Arimid Sisu i got last year is dry everywhere, have not hit it against a rock to test how many pieces it's in when it bounces back
Eva's newer (2020) Karla is also dry everywhere
the build quality seem to have gotten better than the early versions of the same boat, the high foredeck works really well for both of us

Last edited:
When I worked at the late, much-missed Ecomarine, we would still occasionally ship single boats to customers. It was always a pain to jump through the different carriers' packaging requirements, and sometimes impossible (one client wanted the boat shipped overseas, and the shipping company would basically have required a custom-built wooden crate for it.) Rotomoulded plastic boats were less problematic than composite kayaks, but we eventually stopped offering anything but in-store sales for all models.

That said, if you were doing this at scale, and had standardized prefab single-boat packaging that met the requirements of the most stringent carrier, and a staff who specialized in shipping, and knew the ins-and-outs of carriers and customs requirements, you might be able to make it economically viable.

So that would just leave the matters of build quality and flexibility on customization to be determined. Oh, yeah, and also fitting: while I sold a lot of Current Designs boats at Ecomarine and personally liked them, my mantra to customers was, "Fit trumps any features." I always encouraged them to at a minimum sit in a candidate boat, and if at all possible actually paddle it.

I remember that in the early days of internet shopping, one online electronics company advertised with the slogan "Our showrooms are everywhere" with the ad full of the logos of its bricks-and-mortar competitors. The idea being you'd check out the cool features of the TV or whatever in-person at their stores, then order the same product for less online.

Since Sanborne doesn't seem to plan any in-store presence for the CD line, where will their showrooms be? Tell people to find ads for used models of their boats on Facebook and waste the seller's time with a visit when they have no intention of buying? Because "free returns and we eat the shipping cost if it doesn't fit" might work for those slacks from Land's End that don't look as beguiling on you as they did on the model in the photo, but seems challenging for kayaks.

Or maybe they'll take a leaf out of Seaward's playbook. I don't know if this is still true, but back when I worked at Ecomarine, Seaward annoyed a lot of the BC local retailers who carried their brand by doing direct-to-consumer sales, complete with very aggressive pricing. So I had more than one customer I'd spend a lot of time with on Seaward boats, only to have them order directly from Seaward and pick up at the factory. So basically "showrooming" at the retailer. As a result, some retailers stopped stocking them even though they were (and, as far as I know, are) excellent boats. So one very effective way Seaward has always countered this, and marketed well, is with really competitive fleet pricing for tour operators and sweet, sweet prodeals for those in the industry (disclosure: the Tyee I own I got on just such a deal).

If you're newish to kayaking, and you show up for a multiday tour and wind up paddling a Seaward, and see that your guides are paddling pro models of the same brand, it's pretty natural to conclude that Seaward would be what you want when you come to buy your own boat. Perhaps Sanborne is planning something similar?

Back