• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Dobbin Bay

Denis Dwyer

Paddler
Dobbin Bay

50° 47.081N x 126° 48.222W

Dobbin Bay forms an indentation into the southwestern shoreline of Broughton Island at the eastern end of Queen Charlotte Strait.
This is not a very good campsite and I do not recommend it as a planned destination.
I stopped here only because there was no other place nearby to camp and the weather was starting to deteriorate.
I had seen it written up in a kayaking guide and marked the location on my chart.
It would be impossible (or at least very messy) to land or launch here at low to mid-tide as the bay bottom is shallow and covered with sticky mud and scattered barnacle covered rocks.
There is a small spot to camp on solid rock at the top of the bay which stayed dry at high tide on the night of my stay. On 6-13-12, the high tide was 17.8 feet or 5.43 meters.
There is a water source here, cell phone service, and no bugs.

Dobbin Bay on Google Earth
Google+Earth+snapshot

Dobbin Bay at mid-tide
DSC00990.JPG

Dobbin Bay at low-tide
PICT0073.JPG

The water source
DSC00991.JPG

We're agreed on this site, Denis! I much appreciate the solid information and clear photos. We (BC Marine Trail crew of 2) swung by this site last Spring and did not much fancy it, but you're able to give a broader perspective when you've spent a night there, as you have.
This is marginal at best, but still useful for those times when you need to get off the water.
Cheers!

Back