Drowning off Barnet Marine Park Beach [Burrard Inlet]

Discussion in 'Paddling Safety' started by mick_allen, Mar 28, 2019.

1. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

In what has to be the almost the calmest water in N America, a man drowned after falling from a 'small plastic kayak' while crab fishing while being observed by other 'park goers'.
    https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/a-kayaker-has-drowned-off-the-waters-of-burnaby

This incident sounds as if rescue help arrived quickly enough for a pfd to have been useful - I'm sure we'll hear more.
    [This beach is near the beginning of Indian Arm which was discussed recently in 'general paddling discussions'. I've paddled from it countless times, at all times, year or day.]

edited to add later:
    other news organizations and photos show he was fishing about 50 m off shore, fell in, 2 people attempted to swim out to him as he was calling for help, but he slipped below the surface before one made it to him, and he was found by Coast Guard divers within 1 1/2 hrs or so. Photo of upturned kayak on shore:
    kayak2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  2. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

3. sbourgoin

sbourgoin Adventures on Land and Water!

Safety 1st. So many needless aquatic deaths.

4. mick_allen

Difficult to be certain Philip, but when I zoom in on the hull:
    kayakhull.jpg
    at the back I think I see a hole, and between the 2 mid arrows I think I see a rectangular artifact.
    Based on that and the ubiquitous pelicans out there, I think it's a 6' pelican solo:
    PelicanSolo-sidetop.jpg
    in action:
    pelican_solo_3.jpg
    Anyway it's all too bad.

5. mick_allen

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019