.gpx and other downloads now only by payment at BC MTNW??

Discussion in 'BC MARINE TRAILS NETWORK - Assistance Required' started by JohnAbercrombie, May 3, 2015.

1. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I recall being able to download info from the BCMTN in the past.
    Today, I was directed to a "pay to register for an account" page....

Am I missing something?
    (Or is this the new face of BC Marine trails? It seems to me the opposite of what is needed....)

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Re: .gpx and other downloads now only by payment at BC MTNW?

John, don't know if this is pertinent, but using Chrome as my browser, I get a red alert indicating the connection is not private, warning users not to submit credit card info, passwords, etc. I elected not to go to the site. Has it been hijacked?

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I prefer sites where the donation is `voluntary` - and I do donate to sites I use frequently (like GPS visualizer, and free `donation-ware`software I use).
    A few weeks ago I was at a Marine Trails info session (on a paddle lunch break) where we were encouraged to submit info on campsites after purchasing a membership and a $$ `kit` with grease pencil and laminated site info cards.

4. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

The decision is to try a membership model where individuals can become members rather than just supporters. The supporter approach has been used up until now with soso success, but another approach will be interesting to explore.

The issue then: what will be the advantage of being a member vs that of a non-member where we would want all the information and location information to be available to all. So the thought was that just the gpx file download and the use of a measuring tool would be reserved for members. Like we are volunteer organization and get no money other than grants, sponsors, and now members - so exploring the possibilities has some validity.

[since I use google earth as a planning tool, I just download the text location fields anyway and don't bother abt the gpx as usually I'm not downloading 100's of locations.]

So we'll see how it works for a year or so. Comments to the BCMTNA are worthwhile. Should there be members? What advantages, if any, could a member have over a non-member? How can an enterprise such as this be supported?

[there are real expenses involved - to the tune of 10 grand a year plus or minus. This year will be over 55 grand as we just got notice of a 45 grand TransCanada Trail grant for Howe Sound . . . I can hardly move from all the heavy rock we've been rolling & winching around!]

ps - I'll send a notification out with respect to Astoriadave's concerns.

5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Are the `books`AKA detailed finances public?

6. pgrey

pgrey New Member

The downloads page is part of the membership now. The link from the footer will be discontinued shortly. In terms of an alert this is related to a security certificate. There are no problems with the website. The issue with the security certificate is being looked after. About six months ago we had an attack on the site which was sorted out and a 'hole' was closed; now with payments the ssl certificate was added for more protection. Will post back here when a couple of issues are worked out.

Our expenses are fairly high for the association and the workload is huge. The association is 100% volunteer run.
    thanks
    pg

7. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

I'm not sure that we've had a request for financial info, but the treasurer's report is sent out to all task force members before each biannual meeting. 'Task Force' basically means anyone who is interested. Monthly to monthy is probably asking a bit much as it is less comprehensive, but might be available if necessary.

There are several places where there is not complete transparency: the first is the individual discussion during directors meetings, but that could be expected as differing points of view would be expressed leading to overall decisions: but the minutes of the director's meetings could be available (public) if it became necessary. The second really major location where there is not transparency is the sites shown on the map. There are a huge [ I mean huge ] number of sites that are not shown for various reasons like not really knowing the land status of the particular site but for many other reasons as well where the information may have some sensitivity. What to show and what not to show generates lots of interesting discussion as you could imagine.

This is an enterprise of most of the paddling clubs along the coastlines of BC as well as other independent paddlers: really anyone can be part of this at whatever level can be given. Most directors (8 now) are members of those clubs, but indepent paddlers who have an interest have been directors as well. [When I first became part of it, I was just an independent paddler who thought the overall concept of securing and establishing networks of campsites was just simply captivating.]

8. Waterbound

Waterbound Paddler

As a new director with BCMTNA I, too, was captivated by the concept of securing and preserving access to sites along the BC coast. I continue to experience a significant learning curve, and defer with respect to those who have created the network in its present form. With substantial vision, and in response to increasing competition for access, the decision was made to create an official membership to help fund the association's work, and provide members with valuable information on sites located over a vast coastal expanse, trip planning tools, and opportunities to become involved in stewardship activities to protect what they love. I am sorry if some individuals were affronted by requests for a small donation ($10) for a site condition reporting kit, which contained materials useful to site reporting (laminated form, grease pencil, Rite in Rain notebook) as well as site cleanup (heavy duty garbage bag and nitrile gloves.) We are quite new to promoting our efforts and seeking volunteers to become involved in either individual or group activities. I apologize for any misunderstanding that may have occurred during our introductory workshop. I have found membership in BCMTNA to be rewarding and the perks to membership to be very positive and practical benefits to my own paddling adventures. I hope those accustomed to accessing BCMTNA data a gratis, will consider joining and supporting the work done by a very small group of dedicated volunteers.

9. Waterbound

Waterbound Paddler

Hello John! It was a pleasure to meet you on the recent paddle to D'Arcy Island with SISKA. As a new director with BCMTNA, I apologize for any misunderstanding that may have arisen from our brief info session. As a member of the board of BCMTNA, all decisions are made as a group, which meets at least monthly. Originally, we had hoped to be able to provide our site condition reporting kit free to those interested in providing us with data in the course of their travels up and down the coast. Given the demands on our very small budget, and the excessive amounts of time and effort it takes to secure grants and other funding from organizations such as RSTBC, NTC, etc. we could not, in good conscience just give out materials that incurred costs to assemble (Rite in the Rain notebook, grease pencil, laminated form, nitrile gloves and heavy duty garbage bag in waterproof packaging.) We hope that dedicated paddlers such as yourself will explore the benefits of membership in BCMTNA, and support the vision of identifying and preserving marine access and camping sites for future generations, in a marine trail connecting all regions of our expansive coastline. I hope to have the pleasure of paddling with you again sometime soon.

Regards,

gene gapsis

10. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

FWIW, I'm a long way from BC and I am as of now a BCMT member. Why? First, the idea of being able to download a .gpx file of all of those waypoints (campsites, etc.) which are potential parts of our summer trip, is worth the membership fee for me. Second, it's a way to support the network, something I have spent the last several hours at the computer gleaning information from. I likely won't be an ongoing member, but for my trip this summer, I think it will come in handy. I'm spending money on guidebooks and maps, so this is another resource to supplement those.

I could just pick a handful of sites of interest and enter them in the GPS, but I haven't nailed down where we are all going yet - we'll be on the road for 5+ weeks and spending a good chunk of that time on Vancouver Island plus Haida Gwaii. I think $25 is reasonable, have you seen what they charge for the Backroads Mapbooks gps files?

Anyway, that map is an awesome tool. Kudos on a job well done to BCMTN and all of the volunteers and supporters that are making it happen. :clap:

Cheers,
    Bryan
    Brand new BCMTN member.

Oh, and it looks like I can get another Adventure Kayak subscription for free. I seem to have two already. :) The paddling students that I give it away to will thank them.