• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Indentation In My Baby

oiddad

Paddler
Hey guys, any quick fix ideas for an indentation in the hull of my epic 18X? I think it happened on sunday when I left my yak on the roof while visiting my dear old mum. Perhaps the heat combined with tie down on the roof (not overly tight though I am very careful about that). The dent is only very minor and is only in one place but right where the cradle sits when on the roof. It is only one one side not both. Does heat and compression work? I don't know???

What is the boat's layup and what's the nature of the dent? Is it an indentation of the whole thickness of material, or if it's a foam core layup, is the outer layer in and inner layer OK, with the foam in the middle compressed? Realistically I am not sure if there's anything you can do in either case to 'straighten' it, but if it's the case of foam being compressed, you're pretty much limited to either leaving it the way it is,or having a pro shop repair it by filling/re-gelcoating the area.

You might try heat and press it out from the inside. If that works, reinforce the inside of the hull with glass.
If heat allowed the hull to pop in then heat should allow the hull to pop out. Bump shops use this method fix plastic car bumpers.
Just be careful to not over heat the hull.
Heat lamps or a radiant heater might work better then a hairdryer.

Roy

Bodyshops also DON'T use that method to reshape anything made of fiberglass and very seldom on fiber-reinforced poly plastic...

The indent is just where the cradle sits. Its not as big as the surface of the cradle and I can't really feel any bump on the inside. I contacted Epic and there boat builder/repairer said not to use any heat on it and that it would probably not be covered by warranty.

Back