Kayak cover for travel/storage?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by BigandSmall, Apr 18, 2017.

1. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

Does anyone use one of these to store their boat on top of their car in the summer months? I find I get out more if I leave my boat loaded but I don't want the UV damage if I can avoid it. I was looking online at the Danuu brand at MEC: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5018-803/Buddy-Kayak-Bag Are they easy to put on once the kayak is set on a Hullivator or do you have to bag it before loading? How are they at highway speeds? If anyone has any experience with these or other suggestions please chime in.

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I use a Danuu bag which I was given with a Valley Aquanaut HV that lives on a rack outdoors. Slightly different than your situation.

I think you might be able to put the bag on after putting it on the Hullavator, but would definitely need to be put on before you strap it down to the rack.

If it does go on while it is on the rack, that likely would be easier. In my case, I put it on and then slide the boat into a rack with other kayaks. The bag's straps catch on the rack, so it doesn't slide smoothly on. And the Danuu cover goes over the cockpit, which is where one would normally lift the boat when solo, making the lifting more difficult (harder to find a hand hold).

3. Seadddict

Seadddict Paddler

I have & use a similar one by a different manufacturer for one of my boats (carbon). And I use saddles rather than a Hullivator, so my answer may not give you much useful information. I bag the boat before lifting it onto the saddles & strap it down. I can tell you I have no problem with it at highway speeds. I usually only use it on long drives (100+miles). I don't notice any increased noise & the material isn't fraying from wind or weather. It's probably ridden about 2,000 miles with me. I'm happy with it.

4. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

Looks like one of those items I'll have to try out to see if it works for me. Thank you for the feedback.

5. AM

AM Paddler

I honestly feel the bigger issue in cartopping your boat long term is hull deflection or denting. UV degradation is largely cosmetic, in my experience, with the hatches being the primary area of concern (and regular 303 solves that problem). Down at Jericho there are dozens of plastic boats that live outside uncovered all year round. Their plastic is still solid.

Of course, with a new boat, every ding and scratch is painful.

Cheers,
    Andrew

6. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

Nothing quite like skidding to a halt on a sharp rock to make you cringe...

7. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

Feedback, well the cover fit fine and most importantly went on over top of the Hullavator after I strapped it down making it easy to apply. After tightening the straps and lacing the bottom loops it was quiet at freeway speeds. Andrew called it though, after just a couple days of sitting on the Hullavator I can see the hull pushing in despite not having excessive tension on the bow line. Drawbacks of having a plastic kayak I suppose.

8. waterjay

waterjay New Member

I own a Sierra Denali pickup. I can't decide if I should get this Backrack Headache racks or just a tonneau cover from 4WheelOnline to load a kayak safely on my pickup.