Kayak for multi-day touring?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Birney Imes, Oct 9, 2019 at 4:16 AM.

1. Birney Imes

Birney Imes Valsdad

Looking for a touring kayak for multi-day journeys. Medium volume, experienced paddler. Anyone out there want to make a comparison between one of the MV Rockpools (Alaw or the Alaw Bach) and the NDK Romany or the Explorer? Am paddling a Stellar 15S, a lightweight and fast boat, though delicate and without much storage. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 4:29 AM
  2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Never been in a Rockpool, nor the Stellar, so can't comment. NDKs are good boats,and made for touring. Romany is more play (more rocker) and Explorer would track better. The longer length and higher volume should allow for more packing space.

Definitely find a place to demo before buying.

3. Birney Imes

Birney Imes Valsdad

Thanks, Peter. I've paddled the Romany a few times. It felt solid and stable … to a remarkable degree. Maybe too much so for my taste. The kayaks with lighter lay-ups, like the Stellar, seem more responsive, but they're more delicate.

4. AM

AM Paddler

If storage is an issue, I don’t see why you are considering the NDK boats. Here are the numbers:

Stellar 15s: 161.9 litres
    Romany Classic: 136.6 litres
    Explorer: 166.5 litres

I would start with a rough volume in mind. I’ve tripped out of a Delphin for 10 days (131 litres), but much prefer the capacity of my Tahe Wind 535 (210 litres).

Cheers,
    Andrew