• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Keel Guard

Evan

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations on what type of epoxy to use as a keel guard on my thermal-formed kayak. I have some J-B Weld putty, but I am not convinced that is going to work. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly,
Evan

Evan-
I've never worked with epoxy on a thermoform kayak. One problem I'd anticipate is that you'd have to match the flexibility of the epoxy to the thermoform material. (Possibly G-Flex epoxy?).

If it were my boat, I'd probably use KeelEazy tape.
http://www.keeleazy.com/

By Thermoform Kayak , do you mean heat formed?
If so, the kayak was probably made from a high density polyethylene or something like that.
(a lot like a plastic gallon jug or milk carton or a zip lock bag)
So you will need a strong adhesive like Keeleazy mentioned above.
If you use any adhesive product follow the instructions. The key to success with any adhesive
is a complete wet out between surfaces and that can take time. I would let the boat set for a couple of days, if not,
for a week, after applying the adhesive material.
For an example:
You can put tape on something and pull it off right away (if you are quick), but let that tape set on the surface
a minute or two - it will not come off.

Roy

Back