• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Let's talk about Coffee!

Definitely a fan of the Big Sky Bistro...so much so that it's all I use either in the field or at home. Somehow I ended up with two so one had the handle chopped off and has become my backcountry version that is much easier to pack both in a kayak or in a backpack.
The other modification that I've made to both of my mugs is flipping over the press screen thing. When it comes to you originally, Its cross-section looks like this: |\___||___/| with the two outer vertical lines being the mug, and the slash lines being the outside of the press piece. I found that this orientation was allowing grounds to slide between the mug and the press as I pressed my coffee. So my solution was to re-drill the press and flip it over so it now looks like this inside the mug |/----||---\| (the dashed lines are supposed to be at the top...) This way, all the gounds are funneled inside of the press piece as it's pushed down. I hope that makes sense...maybe pictures later if I truly want to procrastinate from my homework.

I took Starbucks Via on my trip this Summer. I guess that they were test marketing it until recently. It isn't going to fool you into thinking that you are drinking fresh brewed or fresh pressed but it doesn't leave a mess to clean up either. It's as good, IMO, as Java Juice and has less packaging.
Honestly, I love good coffee but when I tried to be serious taking fine fresh brewed on trips it was just too much of a hassle to deal with. Too many parts and pieces and too much cleaning up.
I'm no Starbucks fan, I never buy over-priced foo-foo coffee drinks but Via is OK. Beats the hell out of Tasters Choice.

Via is Starbucks instant coffee. It comes in single cup servings. It's OK. Won't make you forget that it's instant.

chodups said:
Via is Starbucks instant coffee. It comes in single cup servings. It's OK. Won't make you forget that it's instant.

Just looked it up. I guess I will have to go and get myself a sample tomorrow.
Although I'm not sure if my wife will kick me out of our place if I show up with Starbucks coffee at our place :lol: After all, she is working for a local coffee roaster www.levelground.com

I used to really love my morning coffee in the Great Outdoors.
Used to 'Brew' a cup or two in a French Press - Single Cup combo.

Now?
No coffee at all when kayak touring.
I have a (slow release) Protein Shake with Breaky in the mornings...helps with my endurance/energy level.

You know what?
I don't miss the coffee... :cool

Should this be in the meals section?

Anyway...

Apparently Starbucks has a powdered "instant" coffee that's supposed to be as good as brewed. Im going to pick some up after work and give it try.

I'm a proponent of using grounds... if you have lots of storage space I use a percolator... or a botum (sp?).

If you don't have space, I put grounds and water in a pot, bring to a light boil (don't burn it), take off heat, then pour in cold water. The addition of cold water makes the grounds settle to the bottom, thereby making it easy to pour.

As for instant.... well... This year while paddling from Hardy to Tofino, I picked up a small jar in Winter Harbour to try and make my morning cup a little easier to make. It came in a glass jar, and unfortunately it broke in the hatch one day. The Instant grounds combined with the tiny bit of water in the hatch, and created a thick, sticky, tar substance which was next to impossible to remove.

After this, I decided to never drink Instant coffee again (no matter how tempting). I was imagining what that tar could do to the insides of your intestines. I think instant coffee could perhaps be kept in your emergency repair kit and used as an emergency tar to fix a split hull.

I picked some up after work yesterday, but decided beer was a better bevi choice for Friday after work. :lol:

I also have some Java Juice, Ill do a comparison next time im camping...

While I was camping this weekend I tried both the java juice and the Starbucks "instant" coffee.
Im not a huge fan of Starbucks. But this stuff was pretty good! I liked it better then the java juice...
I think this will be my new standard, boil water and yer done.

Agreed. I'm not a Starbucks regular and if I do stop by it's because someone else is buying and I order a cup of drip. I used the Via on my trip this past summer and found it to be a very good compromise for kayaking. You know you are drinking instant but it doesn't taste bad, a month's worth fits in a ziplock bag that nestles in your cup so zero wasted space and it requires no clean up. Water usage is kept to a minimum and on extended trips water and food rules. Coffee deserves no space in my hatches.

BTW........

I used Java Juice for my coffee fixes in 2007. Didn't really do it for me. To my taste buds it is inferior to Via. Maybe it's better on ice cream.

Back