Little Espinosa Inlet -Bligh Island via Tahsis Inlet

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by JohnAbercrombie, Jul 19, 2018.

1. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Just a few comments on a very enjoyable trip last week (July 12-18).

The initial plan was to 'perhaps' paddle down the outside of Nootka Island, but the forecast winds were a bit high so we changed our itinerary after a night at Rosa Is. Taking the 'inside' via Tahsis Narrows and Tahsis Inlet can be very pleasant - we paddled early and had 'mostly' calm conditions.
    Track entire Nootka 79nm.JPG
    Haven Cove- the descriptions we'd found were a bit 'optimistic' compared to the reality we found - it's a pretty scummy backwater at high tide with limited spot(s) for a tent. Bugs, and a good pile of bear scat in the middle of the only obvious clear and flat area for tent(s) made us move on.

We moved across to Lord Waterfall campsite which was quite pleasant, as long as fish farms in the distance don't bother you - they didn't us. There would be room for 3 tents, and perhaps more with some serious 'gardening'. The flagged trail leading up from the edge of the beach (the only easy spot to pull boats above high tide) doesn't lead to the waterfall. Erosion under the two trees protecting the small headland will probably see the site get smaller after some time.

Santiago Creek campsite (on Tahsis Inlet) is a very pleasant spot, though the 'tables' and 'bench' are quite rotted. The sign has new pressure-treated 4x4 posts, so somebody is keeping an eye on the site. The privy is in quite good and clean condition. The waypoint for my tent site was 49 48.254 -126 38.375 which is quite close to the waypoint that is now on the BCMTN website.
    In the past the BCMTN waypoint has indicated the creek location, which is S of the campsite. Freya Hoffmeister commented on this when she camped here in 2017:

"We checked Trowwin (sic) Narrows for a potential campsite, but Justine suggested one marked site 2 km further north. We were a bit disappointed by what was on offer and just jumped back into our kayaks, when we pointed out some obvious landing site just a bit further up. Here we go! A perfect grassy “official” spot."

http://freyahoffmeister.com/north-america/na-sec-1-north/wed-1204-2017-day-19/

Excellent water in the clear running stream a short walk S along the shore. There's probably a way to the creek through the bush as well - a good off-day project for future campers.

Vernaci Island is a very nice spot with a few tent sites in welcome shade up from the beach.

Highlight of the trip was a very sudden, very close encounter with a whale near Resolution Cove while paddling into choppy conditions. Big! Lumpy! And, fortunately very easy-going as it glided by ... :)

PDX outbound and nootka like this.
  2. dave

dave New Member

hi John,
    Thanks for sharing info from your recent 7/12-7/18 Tahsis/Bligh trip. Good to know about possible camp site on Vernaci island; Which side of the island did you camp on?
    Also, if you don't mind answering, how many other kayakers did you see and how busy are the campsites near Bligh Island (Charlie's Beach, for example)?
    My wife and I will be paddling Nootka Sound, launching from Cougar Creek CG 7/27. Hope/plan to camp near Vernaci/Charlie's, in the Spanish Pilot islands, and over to Burdwood beach. (and plan to visit Yuquot/Friendly Cove).
    Did you see otters in Nootka Sound?
    thanks for your time,
    Dave Stensland
    Bend, Oregon, USA

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

The campsite is on the E side of Vernaci - the waypoint and details are at the BC Marine Trails website.

We didn't go over to Charlie's Beach. There was a couple at Vernaci but they were heading out so we had the place to ourselves. There were other paddlers at Rosa Is (2 successive groups of 4), and we saw paddlers heading for Garden Point. SAntiago and Lords we had to ourselves both occasions.

Is that 8/27? There's no cell coverage in the Tahsis area as far as I know.
    Have cash ready - once you touch the beach you'll get a demand for payment - so I was told. We didn't visit.
    I think we saw a couple of otters? Nothing close or exciting. The whale encounter has deleted from my memory (limited RAM) the other wildlife sightings!

Have a great trip!

4. dave

dave New Member

John, thanks for the info. I now see the Vernaci site listed at BC Marine trails map. (also in WildCoast book's map).
    Plan to depart Cougar Creek CG on August 27 (not July 27) for 4 or 5 nights out in Nootka, hopefully with a basecamp or 2 and doing some day trips as conditions allow.
    I don't think we will get up towards the Santiago camp site on this trip.
    Also plan on getting over to Johnstone Strait/Broughtons or God's Pocket for a few days.