• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Mick's Syringe and Caulking Gun - Thanks!

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
A few days ago I got a very timely tip from Mick Allen about putting an epoxy-filled syringe in a caulking gun frame.

My current project is adding a rudder to a boat, which requires some 'hacking and hewing' at the stern:
DSCN3976.JPG

Doing the epoxy work on the inside at the stern..."It's a long long way to Tipperary....." from the rear hatch.

I had some syringes in my supplies - 60 mL
DSCN3977.JPG

I cut the plunger ring off to give a flat pushing surface, and cut slots in the caulking gun frame to match the 'ears' on the syringe body.
DSCN3980.JPG

A brush on a stick completed the toolkit
DSCN3981.JPG
The stern inside is now 'well buttered' with thickened epoxy, sealing the opening where I laminated a flat panel of glass and a filler plug.
BTW, LED bulbs are excellent for working in confined spaces as they don't give off much heat so it's not a problem if you brush against the bulb.

I'll add a glass lamination on the outside.

Pics later.

Thanks, Mick!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You're the first I've persuaded to try it - good for you!
[ps, I buy syringes [10ml and 60ml] fairly inexpensively from a medical supply store.

Empty caulking tubes sounds great and I might pick up a few. Great idea, Rod
in addition the syringe approach does have some features:
- cheap​
- combines the mixing 'container' with the applicator.​
- completely [down to a few ml] variable volume mixing - especially useful for exact placement of miniscule volumes. And the flexibility of varying mix thicknessess virtually 'on the go' from one miniscule mix to the next.​
- sealable [as syringes typically come with screw seals].​
- Large variation of tip sizes from almost microscopic up to fairly gross [from lee valley].​
- very simple to handle and monitor.​
- useful for other purposes [I have one with carpenters glue in it], I've also chucked the tips onto compressed air hoses for exact placement and direction of high press air.​

the two amazing advantages of the caulk gun approach [whether syringe or bought or empty cartridge as suggested by Rod - and John] are that exposure times are increased because the tube/syringe is not heated by holding in the hands and secondly that even when starting to set up, such high pressures can be generated by the caulk gun that even when the viscosity is changing, the mixture can be effectively placed.
[I remember so well my hands just shaking from trying to squeeze in the last amounts of syringed filler at the end of a long seam - then the idea and subsequent caulk gun heaven!]

Last edited:
Granted the tubes are not cheap at $5 a piece. Although they do say they are re-usable. I suppose if you push everything out and then clean it with solvents. I tried it once but found I don't have time for that. Besides, if I use them, the customer pays in the end for shop supplies so they either pay for the tube or my time to clean them.

Back