• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Mythic Drysuits at $225 or $325/suit

Got this note from them just the other day in their email newsletter:

"We're sorry to report that the schedule has slipped due to weather issues and delays in Customs affecting the entire ship. Our original target date, Feb. 18, no longer looks realistic. We're still hoping for next week but have no firm info from our shipping agent. We will update this with a projected ship date as soon as we can."

James

Hello.

Sorry to have missed the conversation on what defines cold water. While it is interesting to note temp differences of several degrees, water around either freezing point, either freshwater or salt water, is rather uncomfortable.

Anyway, more importantly, Bob has sent the following email this morning:

"Unfortunately, we write today with some important and disappointing news. It has come to our attention that the integrity of one of the components of our drysuits may be compromised. We are investigating the matter, but since it could affect the safety of the suit, we ask that you stop using the drysuit immediately. We will follow up shortly with instructions for you to send the drysuit to our return center for repair or replacement. We will, of course, cover the shipping costs. Do not send the suit back until you receive specific instructions from us, and please do not use the drysuit."

I'm uncertain what component this may be. I received both a medium Sobek and large Enki about 3 weeks ago and have worn the former about 7 or 8 times (at least) and the Enki once. I've practiced rolling and gone paddling in below freezing (freshwater!) temps as well as I spent a couple of hours at Long Beach near Tofino last weekend, a lot of which was spent rolling around w/my surf ski in the surf (I could get out reasonably well - pretty fun; coming in was an entirely different story, though, and I spent a pretty major chunk of time in the water!) I've been happy w/both suits, so again, I'm not sure what component is at issue. I stayed dry and, because I was wearing insulating layers, I was warm. There was some condensation while on "fitness" paddles, but I dress in case I'll be in the water and this means an extra layer - too warm if I'm out of the water, just right if I'm in it.

Bob Holtzman at Mythic Gear is checking into the potential issue and states he will stand behind the suits should there be an intrinsic flaw in them. Right now, he's attempting to be proactive to make sure there aren't any safety issues. I'll let you know when I learn more of what's taking place.

It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract.

Alan Shepard

datakoll, that's an excellent quote.

I'll wait to find out what or if there is a problem, though. I haven't had an issue w/the Sobek which I've primarily been wearing. On the contrary, it's served me wonderfully. While I don't know Bob personally, I know that he is a paddler first -not a businessperson - and that he is attempting to increase the overall safety of those who spend time on the water. His goal all along has been to make a safe suit that is also inexpensive relative to other drysuits. They have a one-year warranty. I'm wishing him well.

I have one of their suits on the way- - ETA is this coming Monday. Received the email alert notice today. Hoping this turns out to be a minor issue as I'd like to see this company go strong. Availability of quality and affordable drysuits is a super benefit to the kayaking community.

Keepin' my fingers crossed for them.

A friend got this info from Mythic (pretty amazing customer support, but I suppose their choices are slim):

Why We're Doing It

We have learned that the latex neck and wrist gaskets on the drysuits are mislabeled and substandard in quality. The gaskets have the words SI TECH AB SWEDEN molded in, but they are NOT SiTech gaskets. SiTech AB manufactures drysuit gaskets of excellent quality: they have informed us that the gaskets on Mythic Drysuits were not made by them, nor authorized to be made by anyone else. SiTech also informs us that the gaskets are of poor quality. Mythic Gear has seen this in regard to the neck gaskets: we have already seen two neck gasket failures (thankfully, not on the water) and recently noticed thin spots on others.

Mythic Gear did not and would not knowingly or willingly use mislabeled gaskets on its drysuits, but we are accepting responsibility for the problem. We have apologized to SiTech and to its North American distributor, Ocean Equipment of Powell River, BC. We are conducting this recall for three reasons: i) as an important safety measure; ii) in the interests of fairness to our customers; and iii) as our obligation to protect Si Tech's brand and reputation.

We are sorry for the inconvenience of this recall and for the loss of any paddling opportunities that it imposes. Please understand that this is above all a safety issue that neither we, nor you, can ignore. We have been honored by the trust so many of you have placed in Mythic Gear and by your enthusiasm for our mission. Whether you choose a refund or a repair, your support has been deeply gratifying and appreciated.

Yours truly,

Bob Holtzman

p.s., We're sending this to everyone who bought a drysuit from us – even people who have already requested or received a refund – because we don't want the reasons to remain a mystery.

--
Bob Holtzman, President
Mythic Gear, Inc.
15 Keller Dr.
Rockport, ME 04856 USA
530-350-MYTH (6984)

Excellent response to what must be a difficult problem for a new startup business. Good on them for standing by their product -- while expensive, they're handling of the issue in a manner that could provide them with valuable customer loyalty down the road.

If I had one of their suits I'd be inclined to ask them to just send me the new gaskets and I'd install them myself -- once you've done it a couple of times changing a gasket isn't such a big deal.

A kind of similar life experience encouraged me to post up about this, hopefully I wont be too long winded.
I bought a Badger Krome Airbrush online after reading rave reviews from hundreds of satisfied airbrush artists. To my despair the quality was not what I was expecting nor what had been spoken about by so many. On the airbrush forum I was encouraged to contact the owner of Badger Airbrush Company as he frequented the forum, which I promptly did. Ten days later in the mail came a new Badger Krome airbrush along with about sixty dollars worth of extra needles/nozzles and other items. After I received the new airbrush I returned the faulty unit and 20 days later it came back in the mail fixed free of charge. All of Badger airbrushes are guaranteed for life.
The service and commitment to quality I received from the Badger Airbrush Company has made me a customer for life. And perhaps a mouthpiece aswell :wink:

It seems to me that Mythic Gear, Inc. are on the right track to a long and successful business.
I respect Bob Holtzman for the way he has handled this and wish him all the best in following his passion (Mythic Gear, Inc.) to life long fruition.
Big :big_thumb
Tiger Tsunami.

I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed by both the service and the forthrightness of Mythic for the way they are dealing with this. Without question I will be putting them at the top of my list when I need a new drysuit. That kind of integrity deserves to be rewarded. :clap:

Today I received a message from Mysthic saying their new drysuits will be back in stock May 14.
Took the plunge and ordered myself one.
Up to now I've been using a drytop and drypants over a wetsuit. This will be my first drysuit so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

A friend of mine had received the 'defective' drysuit, sent it back as requested, and received the repaired suit a couple of days ago. Pretty impressive ... Mythic is epic.

I just saw on the Level 6 website that they have demo drysuits for sale for $345. Sizing might be an issue but it really is a substantial mark down. Having noted that I can't say that I've actually seen or worn one of their dry suits.

My apologies for not checking in to read people's comments. I'm in agreement w/many of the sentiments - Bob Holtzmann (who I have yet to meet, only had email and phone conversations w/)/Mythic Gear have taken a path that reflects a lot of integrity. My friend Glenn and I shipped our drysuits free of charge to the company doing the gasket replacement and recently got them back (Glenn got my 2 suits to me on Saturday.)

The replacement gaskets are definitely odd - never seen the like - in that the openings have not been cut! They've been attached well. I had a friend trim them - I didn't trust myself! I took some friends rafting on the Elaho yesterday and, while they didn't swim, they stayed dry while running the rapids. I'll try them out again, now that they have new gaskets, but the gasket material is the latex I'm used to in paddling drysuits.

If I didn't have my other (Kokatat) drysuit, having to ship out a drysuit for repairs would have been a major inconvenience/bummer as it would have impacted my paddling. I wouldn't have been doing any whitewater paddling, for instance, though I have been going out on the ocean in lighter gear recently. That said, I appreciate how Bob has stood by the suits and that the gasket replacement has been free of any additional costs.

Back