Need input --my rental boat for PPS

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, May 9, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

So I heard back from the PPS people about the rental boats. I told them I have an NDK Pilgrim Ex and would like something similar. They are ONLY renting poly boats for the symposium, so my options are limited. They are recommending a Wilderness Systems Tempest 16'5". According to them, it's "a sleek poly skeg boat." https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/kayaks/tempest-165

Having just gotten rid of a WS boat, I blanched a bit, but the link above says that it's for smaller paddlers and it DOES have a skeg. It is wider than my Pilgrim, but most boats are.

Will that be OK for me, do you think? I'm 5'6" and 128 lbs. And I want to work a lot on rolling.

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

3. tiagosantos

tiagosantos Paddler

The tempest is much closer to your pilgrim than it was to your older WS boat :) It's a great little boat, pretty maneuverable and it won't hurt your rolling aspirations in the slightest, I don't think.

4. designer

designer Paddler

Of course it won't be your sweet little boat, but it won't be oversized for you. Like driving various cars of different sizes, and accelerations, you will bring "you" to the boat and make it yours for the duration of the class.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Great! Thanks!! :)

6. JKA

JKA Paddler

I have a poly WS Tempest 16.5, which I bought to replace a WS Tempest 17 that I swapped for a Necky Chatham 16!

Much nicer for a smaller paddler than the 17, faster to paddle and easier to roll than the Chatham.

Pretty bombproof boat IMHO.

See you at PPS.

7. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Thanks! See you there!! :)