• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

New to the area, Lower Mainland/South Island BC

Sparky961

Paddler
Looking for someone (or a small group) with ocean paddling experience and good judgement to paddle with for a time or two acting as a local guide of sorts.

I saw a link for SISKA in another thread. This is appealing but I don't know for sure where I'll be settling in long term so can't commit to a club membership at this point.

I’m an experienced paddler on the Great Lakes in many conditions and all seasons but minimal ocean experience. I have my PC2 and could most likely pass PC3 if I so desired. I can roll just about any boat I'll paddle.

I’m on the mainland now but planning to be on the island in the next couple days. My plans are very flexible.

I’m on the mainland now but planning to be on the island in the next couple days. My plans are very flexible.

Hi Sparky 961,
Welcome to WCP. As Peter-CA on P.com recommended, you will find lots of folks extremely familiar with Vancouver Island and the rest of the BC Coast. If members of the group aren't immediately available to join you they can certainly provide valuable suggestions and site specific recommendations. Another place to poke around is on bcmarinetrails.org.
Wish I could join you but I live south of the border.
Jon

'Sparky'-
You didn't mention whether you will have your boat and gear with you.

Here's another good resource:

I think there are a couple of kayaking 'Meetup' groups in the Victoria area as well - one is for SISKA members (membership is cheap so shouldn't be a big barrier) but I think there is at least one more which is 'open'.

'Sparky'-
You didn't mention whether you will have your boat and gear with you.

Here's another good resource:

I think there are a couple of kayaking 'Meetup' groups in the Victoria area as well - one is for SISKA members (membership is cheap so shouldn't be a big barrier) but I think there is at least one more which is 'open'.

I have boat and gear, yes. I should be adequately sea worthy. Though this boat doesn't have a compass mounted, so I need to purchase a strap-on. (Don't giggle so loudly)

My experience with Meetup groups isn't great. Lots of people with plenty of ambition but no experience, judgement, or the motivation to improve either. No shows, rec boats where they don't belong, winter coats as immersion gear, waterproof speakers blasting "paddling music", slowpokes, chain smokers, and more.

In fairness, I met a few people that were great but they were the exception.

It's the reason I've done most of my paddling solo.

Hi Sparky 961,
Welcome to WCP. As Peter-CA on P.com recommended, you will find lots of folks extremely familiar with Vancouver Island and the rest of the BC Coast. If members of the group aren't immediately available to join you they can certainly provide valuable suggestions and site specific recommendations. Another place to poke around is on bcmarinetrails.org.
Wish I could join you but I live south of the border.
Jon

Thanks, Jon. Optimism has been improving lately so maybe I can take a raincheck.

In the meantime your suggestions have been added to my arsenal.

My experience with Meetup groups isn't great. Lots of people with plenty of ambition but no experience, judgement, or the motivation to improve either. No shows, rec boats where they don't belong, winter coats as immersion gear, waterproof speakers blasting "paddling music", slowpokes, chain smokers, and more.

In fairness, I met a few people that were great but they were the exception.

To me, that sounds like a list of reasons to focus on a good paddling club!
Paying $40 to avoid those problems, even for one paddle, would seem like a bargain to me...
:)

BTW, there's a lot of info on the SISKA website, and on the SISKA newsletters site (https://www.siskanewsletters.com/) that doesn't require a membership to access.
For example, there's a good article by Mike Jackson on Cadboro Bay paddling here:

Last edited:
No shows, rec boats where they don't belong, winter coats as immersion gear, waterproof speakers blasting "paddling music", slowpokes, chain smokers, and more.
The meetup group in Nanaimo is very good, not suffering from the shortcomings you mention. https://www.meetup.com/nanaimopaddlers/
This particular meetup grew out of a paddling group that has been around a long time.

Back