Newcastle Island Marine Park

Discussion in 'BC MARINE TRAILS NETWORK - Assistance Required' started by Denis Dwyer, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

Newcastle Island Marine Park

I visited this site on May 17, 2012
    Coordinates: 49°10.982N x 123°55.606W

Newcastle Island is located just off-shore from the city of Nanaimo.
    The landing area here is mostly solid rock with small sand and gravel areas exposed at various tide levels.
    Designated campsites are available but the park gets heavy use and sites can be full.
    (The campground host directed me to camp on the lawn on the night of my visit.)
    A small camping fee is required and will be collected by the campground host.
    The park has nice restroom facilities with flush toilets, hot showers, and heating.
    A cafe in the pavilion serves a few hot meal items and hot and cold drinks.
    A foot ferry is available to take visitors across the harbor to Nanaimo.
    There are lots of raccoons on the island so metal boxes are provided for food storage.

For more information on Newcastle Island Marine Park visit the web site below.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_Island_Marine_Provincial_Park

[​IMG]
    Newcastle Island Marine Park on Google Earth

[​IMG]
    The landing area is mostly solid rock.

[​IMG]
    The pavilions and lawn at the park are well suited for kayakers passing through.

[​IMG]
    Dock carts are available to help you move your gear.

This was the third of 34 Canadian campsites on my 2012 Inside Passage kayaking trip.

2. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

The Newcastle racoon population includes blonde racoons, a surviving mutation - perhaps not as exciting as sighting a kermode, but nonetheless of interest.

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Denis-
    Thanks for these very informative posts- looking forward to more of them!
    I'm just getting interested in kayak camping, and your info is a great resource to get me 'out there'.