Nikon S30 waterproof point and shoot

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by Byron, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Byron

Byron Paddler

If you want a simple waterproof camera but object to paying $400 for their fifty dollar image quality then consider the Nikon S30. At $49 from Shoppers Drug you'll at least get what you pay for.

It's yesterday's specs (10Mpix, 3x zoom, 720p video, takes AA batteries etc) but the smeared details and pumped up colors will make you feel right at home with the latest cameras. :yikes:

Here's a picture to show it exists:

Here's some pictures to prove it actually works:

In truth waterproof cameras are a bad lot and I can't recommend any of them. But for online photos documenting various water activities this one is working for me.

And when I see a particularly bad picture I just remember to recite ten times to myself: "Waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and the 'superior image quality of a Nikon' all for $49!"

Attached Files:

2. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Looks pretty good to me for posting online...which is what I would use it for! Thanks for the heads up, I may go grab one. For the price you can't really complain. :big_thumb

3. pryaker

pryaker Paddler

Funny, that was almost an impulse buy the other day, just before leaving on two weeks of yak'n. Instead my buddy loaned me his older Pentax.

At my local Shoppers it was on clearance for $65. Liked that it used AA's but was wondering about the quality, your pix seem to be OK for what it is.

One question, what the hell are the four buttons I saw on the back? Seemed weird...

4. Byron

Byron Paddler

The price recently dropped to $49 so I wouldn't pay more than that.

The four buttons are used to select items in the soft menu system. Seems ok to me.

By the way, Best Buy has the proper waterproof case for the Canon elph 100 (it may fit others in that series). Only $29. Might be a better option for anyone who already has that camera. However I've never used those cases so don't know for sure how well they work.

5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I just picked up one of these (S30) - my top priority was finding a waterproof camera that takes AA batteries. Hopefully this isn't the last one ever made that doesn't use a (hard to recharge away from AC or 12v) rechargeable battery pack.

It works well and the menus are more-or-less intuitive, though not a lot of options in some cases. Example- flash is either 'Off' or 'Auto' - no way to force flash on for fill-in. But, it works, and it was $50 with a memory card.

I do have to be careful with the slow lens - in dull/overcast conditions I need a steady hand or more (e.g. bracing against tree/rock/whatever) to avoid blurring.