• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Outback Oven

Gotta like the Trangia - anything with essentially no moving parts to go wrong is a good thing. Plus, blessed silence. Only downside is that you can't use one with the Outback Oven - the cover/skirt can cause the fuel to overheat and flash off.

kayakwriter;
some folks don't realize that there is a port in the base of the trangia windscreen that will allow you to insert a propane burner in lieu of the alcohol burner. not that i, personally, would do such a thing but it might make it possible to use the oven with the trangia stove. or just build a burner from the previous links i provided and build the oven around it in such a way that the burner doesn't get too hot. i'm going to have a look at this option as soon and i get a chance to have a close up and personal look at the oven. i like building things. :D
DarenN......

here's a couple pics of a stove i built.
47b6d824b3127cce89b2ae463a8200000016108QaNG7duybC

47b6d824b3127cce89b2ae59bbad00000016108QaNG7duybC

the zippo lighter is in the pics as a size reference.

thanks Mark!
any idea how i can fix that problem in the future? or is it something only you gurus can do?
DarenN......

Actually, I copied and pasted your URL into a browser, saved the images as .jpg's, and uploaded them to be hosted on this site - but it's something only we admin folks can do. The only other option is to either post a link instead of a URL (which means you won't see the images in your post, only a link to images) or have them hosted somewhere that they still carry the .jpg file extension. I think Photobucket and a few other sites will host images for free with .jpg extensions.

Another baking option is the Bakepacker, which is very small. It's a honeycombed cylinder about 1-in high and the diameter of a backpacking pot (7 in?). Fits in a covered pot with an inch of water and bakes dough in a disposable oven bag. Just got back from a week in the mountains with one and you can make pizza (which I didn't try) and Jiffy mixes (which I did). Takes 20 minutes at a simmer to bake biscuits or muffins.

thanks Rootman! i went and read the Bakepacker website and i think that this may be the answer to the overheating problem we of the trangia religion have with the outback oven. could you answer a question for me? how deep is the grid in the bottom of the two inch ring? it looks like it's about an inch deep in the pics. same as the water level used for cooking.
DarenN.....

Rootman said:
Another baking option is the Bakepacker, which is very small. It's a honeycombed cylinder about 1-in high and the diameter of a backpacking pot (7 in?). Takes 20 minutes at a simmer to bake biscuits or muffins.
We love ours. It is a fuel-sucker, but the "muffin" (7 inches around and about 1 1/2 inches tall) comes out very tasty.

I confess to adherence to the cult of Bakepacker Druids ... and do not worship the false Trangia icon! :wink: :lol:

false? FALSE!? DAVE? IS THAT YOU? PLEASE SPEAK UP, SHOUT MAYBE. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THAT ROARING, JET-ENGINE SOUND. :D

maybe you could meassure the depth of the grid for me?

DarenN....

DarenN said:
I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THAT ROARING, JET-ENGINE SOUND. :D
maybe you could measure the depth of the grid for me?
There is a roaring in my ears ... which may influence the accuracy of this, but my iconic, holy-rollin' Bakepacker grid is an inch deep, with the grid based on half-inch squares. The grid is set into a 2-inch tall, 6-inch diameter cylinder. The metal which forms the cylinder is aluminum, and very thin, about 0.020 inches thick. The gridwork metal is the same thickness, and is also aluminum. Whole thing weighs 112 grams.

Mine is six years old, and has been used maybe 20-30 times.

There is more than one road to Bakepacker enlightenment. I have the ultralight model, which is 5.75-inch diameter and weighs 4 oz. Dave has the orthodox model, it appears. Anyway, it stores inside your pot. You can pack your mixes in the plastic Reynolds oven bags you bake them in, and just add a bit of water before baking. Also cook rice and noodle dishes in the bags and you don't have to clean the pot.

My stove? An MSR PocketRocket at 3 oz.

Rootman said:
There is more than one road to Bakepacker enlightenment. I have the ultralight model, which is 5.75-inch diameter and weighs 4 oz.
I think we have the same model. 4 oz is about 110 grams.

That's a cool trick on cooking rice.

Pocket Rocket? MSR makes those??? :wink:

First field test of the Outback Oven went better than I expected. Both the apple crisp and Callebaut chocolate brownies turned out well. One minor disappointment, however, was that there was little browning effect required for the topping on the apple crisp.

The brownies received good reviews from the judging panel on Clarke Island and I plan on testing some savory recipes on our next trip. :)

Gooey Outback Brownies
OubackBrownies.jpg

Back