• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Paddling in New Mexico

Oldpro

Paddler
I know it's a long, long way away, but has anybody here paddled in New Mexico? Next spring I'll be leaving the beautiful Pacific Northwest and relocating to the Albuquerque area. :(

For flat water you might check out Elephant Butte Lake, a resrvoir formed by a dam on the Rio Grande ... take I25 south still past Socorro. Near the south end of the reservoir is Truth or Consequences with its many hot springs. The air temperatures become hot in summer and it can be windy in spring.

Another possibility is Navajo Reservoir, which straddles Colorado and New Mexico. I have paddled in the NM portion, which was fairly quiet when I went. The part near CO's Navajo State Park probably gets heavier powerboat and jet ski use, because their campground and boat ramps are built for big rigs and big, loud toys. The NM state park seems designed for tenting and small campers. Very pretty, although you will hear some sound from petroleum industry equipment.

There are also a couple of smaller lakes in northern NM that sounded good though I never paddled there. Santa Rosa Lake, maybe? Can't remember which lake.

Keep in mind that NM is the one state that requires *wearing* a PFD at all times on the water. Keeping one at ready access isn't enough. While I was practicing rolling in the hot air and warm water, a ranger told me I actually had to put the PFD on. It is in their state boating laws.

I understand that Elephant Butte Reservoir does not freeze over, a plus. OTOH, water levels can get really low due to drawdown for irrigation, a negative. The downside of paddling reservoirs, and partly why I moved *from* CO to WA.

Thanks for the recommendations; these kind of "second" what I've been able to hear when down there on a house-hunting trip. The only down-side is the commuting distance from home to water. Checking the web, I've found some nearby private lakes that seem to offer good fishing, but the paddling is going to be bathtub-like. The Rio Grande through Albuquerque is always a possibility, but it's more a float trip. As to wearing a PFD, that's no problem for me; I've never gone out without one.

As this move progresses, I'm sure I'll find something....

Oldpro

I look forward to reading your Trip Reports from New Mexico! Best of luck to you in your new home Brad.

Lila

Back