• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Pender Harbour Vicinity

drahcir

Paddler
Nearly all my BC paddling has been based from Vancouver Island e.g to access Quadra, Cortes, the Broken Group, the Broughtons. I am now thinking of organizing a few folks to kayak in the Pender Harbour vicinity. However, I am guessing it might prove too crowded. What do you other kayakers familiar with that area think? As an example, we did a trip in the lower Gulf Islands south of Saltspring and I found that more crowded than I would prefer.

Since the border is still closed, I'm assuming you are thinking about paddling (perhaps) next summer ?
Which campsites are you considering, or is this going to be 'base camp' paddling from a campsite (or B&B 'glamping') ?

Hello John.

Yes ... next summer. At age 80, I get my 2nd Covid-19 shot in a week and I am hoping that the border authorities eventually allow some of us vaccinated people to leak through the border. We rarely camp anymore so we'll rent an airbnb or some such facility. I've only visited that area once (without kayaks) for the jazz festival - before that shut down. Our kayak trips typically include people from the Nanaimo area plus those of us from the USA.

How long would you be out for? Do you mind undeveloped camping? many there. [written before your last post] And would you entertain crossing to Texada et al as part of the outing? I mean that whole Jervis, Sechelt, Texada & other islands region is just rich with possibilities.

This gives an idea of existing,deleted, background, drivepasts, and sitevisits for the area - very similar to the early work in Howe Sound.

JervisTexadaSSunshine-map.jpg

Thanks Mick.

We no longer camp and just do day trips, which really limits possibilities. Our typical group has a skill set that ranges from timid beginner to reckless intermediate. A crossing to Texada in flattish water would be feasible, but there would be no guarantee of flat water for the return. In the past, I have visited Lasqueti (and read Accidental Eden) as well as Jedediah (and read Jedediah Days). Nevertheless, my question is 'how crowded is the Pender Harbour vicinity' with a desire to avoid motorized craft.

Back