PPS report

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, Jun 5, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Had a GREAT time at PPS! Lester Pearson College is amazing and beautiful and pretty much heaven on earth. I saw 3 deer just outside my window one morning. :) There are no locks on the dorm room doors--that would be impossible in the US (parents would freak out). I took an all-day class with Justine Curgenven on eddies and currents, which was really fun, and a 1/2 day class with her on rescue techniques for dynamic waters. Learned some good techniques for being a smaller paddler rescuing a larger swimmer, which has been one of my concerns. Also took Greenland rolling with Freya! It was a terrifying experience, LOL, but I guess out of sheer fear, I rose above myself--she had me doing the norsaq roll and the HAND ROLL within 20 min. She doesn't tell you to arch your back--she just jams her knee into your back, and by god you arch it! :) Her talk about the S. American circumnav was fascinating as well.

et_pps_drysuit.jpg

et_freya.jpg

Before PPS, my friend Joel, who went with me to PPS, and I spent 24 hours in Victoria, which was great. I finally made it to the Emily Carr House, and we also went to the Royal Vic museum.

DSCN0506.JPG

After PPS, I spent 4 days w/ my mom in Van. I took a rolling lesson with Mike Gilbert (who was at PPS, but not teaching rolling there). If you recall, I took a rolling lesson w/ Mike last summer, when I was worried and cautious--he said I was like a whole different person this summer, throwing out rolls all over the place LOL. We worked more on the norsaq and hand rolls, and I got the shotgun roll! I basically have the butterfly as well--I just need to perfect that. I can't say that I can hit the norsaq and hand rolls all the time either, but they are getting there. So that's 4-5 Greenland rolls!

I also took a boat out for a day paddle, crossing Burrard Inlet to Lighthouse Point. There was only about a 6 knot wind, and I would have gone on over to Passage Island, but I got a late start due to equipment issues (the Romany I had reserved had been swiped by an instructor), and by the time we figured that out, and I had found another boat, I'd already wasted half an hour. My phone doesn't work in Canada, and I had told my mom what time I should be back, so I didn't want to risk being much later than that. But I went up around the Grebe Islets and had lunch in a little nook made possible by the ebbing tide. Only a few pix from the start of the trip b/c my new camera seems to have the battery life of a grain of rice and it gave out on me just as I got to the lighthouse. It looks gloomier than it was--and the clouds lifted during the second half of the trip. It was a lovely day.

DSCN0690.JPG

DSCN0692.JPG

So now I'm back in stinking hot TN, and missing your wonderful weather and amazing scenery! I will be spending the summer at the bathtub-temp lake working on rolling. :)

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Great report! BTW, we discovered a relatively low cost method of acquiring a flip phone for trips in BC. PM me for details.

pawsplus likes this.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Paddler

Congrats on surviving that terrible Burrard Inlet crossing. The Grebe Islets are fun.

I am curious to know what is that new camera with such a poor battery life.

4. designer

designer Paddler

Sometimes new rechargeable batteries need to "exercised" a few times before they operate with their full duration potential.

What a great lineup of instructors!

Thank you, Paws, for sharing.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

LOL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKMPWZD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My old one (a Fuji of similar ilk) held a charge a long time. This one hadn't been charged since PPS, but I didn't take many pix there, and no videos, so it really should have still been fine. I'll have to be more vigilant!