Radio in carry-on

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, Mar 22, 2019.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Can I put a VHF radio in a carry-on? Or am I just gonna have to be radio-less this summer? Hoping to avoid checking more than my paddle.

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Yes, you can carry a radio.

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

OK! We will see if there is room for it then. I can't think that I would need it in Indian Arm, but I also plan to paddle in Burrard Inlet. Can't hurt if I can jam it in.

4. nootka

nootka Paddler

Disconnect the antenna first.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

6. nootka

nootka Paddler

Same reason you shouldn't pick up most radios by the antenna.

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

The antenna on my radio unscrews. When packing the radio in a tight space, I disconnect it and tape it to the body. Any cranny where it won't get grossly bent is fine.

8. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

On camping trips, I carry a spare radio in my 'stuff for the tent' zip bag, along with notebook and pencil for copying weather, MP3 player etc...
    I unscrew the antenna and also detach and put the battery pack in a ziplock plastic bag. My radio powers on with the volume knob, and it 'switched itself on' once and ran down the battery.

I'd use the same system for my carry-on bag on a plane.

Astoriadave likes this.
  9. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Off-topic:
    BTW, I think it's a good habit to unscrew the VHF antenna a few times a season to check for corrosion/salt, etc.
    The jack on most radios is waterproof - you can rinse the antenna and jack with fresh water and a toothbrush, dry very well, and re-assemble. Search for silicone dielectric grease - electronics stores sell it and you can also get it at auto parts stores as it is used for spark plug connections.
    In my limited experience, most VHFs will continue to receive OK with a poor antenna connection but won't transmit as effectively as they should.

10. designer

designer Paddler

And it doesn't help if the battery goes while you are on the water and your spare batteries are in a dry bag at the bow of the boat. In addition to the rechargeable that usually comes with the radio, I pony up to buy the bracket that holds substitution AA (or AAA) batteries - though it hurts real bad to pay that much for a small piece of plastic.

11. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I added a small O-ring under the volume/switch on my Icom M88 - it stiffened up the rotation and the radio hasn't switched itself on in my PFD pocket since then.

Astoriadave likes this.