Skull Cove on Bramham Island south of Cape Caution

Discussion in 'BC MARINE TRAILS NETWORK - Assistance Required' started by Denis Dwyer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

2. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

Skull Cove

51° 02.852 N x 127° 33.778 W

I stopped here for an overnight visit on June 8, 2012.
    Skull Cove is an abandoned or little used whale watching outpost.
    There are a few small plywood cabins that are still in good condition.
    The wooden boardwalk that meanders throughout the area is falling into disrepair.
    It is necessary to climb a steep flight of stairs to reacha place where camping would be above high tide.
    When I camped here in 2008 (see photos in the first post) high tides were not at their highest monthly levels and I was able to camp on a low beach.
    On my 2012 visit, tides were high and that beach was under water.
    At high tide, water reaches right up to the bottom of the stairs (see photo) so it is necessary to carry your boat and equipment to the top of the stairs.
    The views from the abandoned kitchen area are spectacular and well worth the effort to reach the spot.
    There is probably a natural water source nearby since groups of people once used the area.
    I was able to obtain clean drinking water from a large plastic barrel that is set up to catch rainwater from the kitchen roof.
    There was no cell phone service at this site.

Skull Cove on Google Earth
    [​IMG]

The kitchen area at Skull Cove
    [​IMG]

The water level reaches the stairs at high tide.
    [​IMG]

The view from the trail looks out across Queen Charlotte Strait.
    [​IMG]

A map of Skull Cove
    [​IMG]

3. chodups

chodups Paddler

I camped at Skull Cove on August 8, 2012. There is a small clearing above the intertidal beach that is accessed by a semi-overgrown trail. I believe that trail ultimately connects with the rest of the trails but I wasn't in to bushwhacking. The clearing is well above all tide levels and held my 2 person tent with ease. I believe that two tents could squeeze in and it looked like it could be expanded with some work. I had it from a reliable source that this and another similar clearing existed but I found no evidence of the other.