SOF kayak question

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by mbiraman, Jul 11, 2010.

1. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

So i like these SOF kayak's especially since i have a shop to build one in but i haven't come across any posts about gear storage. Do people who paddle them dry bag in through the cockpit or ???.

2. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Yes, and make sure you attach code to pull it out from deep inside. installing a stainless ring at ends to use as pully to push the bag deeper will be very helpfull too. There is some tapered dribag to use in such boat. The amount of gear you can take in SOF is significantly smaller than same size hard shell kayak.

3. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Thanks shushiy. Is the limited gear storage because of storage limits or weight limits or both. If your building a greenland type kayak is there an approximation of litres of storage ?.

4. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

It is because of wodd frams inside, and things just don't slide into deep end, the ribs acts as bumps.

I don't build SOF, and asked builder how much bigger he would make to have to have -say, same amount of stroge with Tempest, he rally could not tell on spot. But I have to say at least bigger than the amount of wood you use for the frame for the boat.

Have fun building it!! Who cares how little it can carry, people do camping in that kind of boat! :cool

5. paddlesores

paddlesores Paddler

Sushiy,

Since I’m just getting into this SOF kayaking myself I was also wondering about this. I had seen pics of some boats with pulleys rigged to the bow and stern but had just assumed they were used to pull the float bags tight to the ends before inflating, which leads to my question. When using the SOF for a trip do people keep the float bags installed? I’m going to be ordering a set of float bags soon from Corey at the Skinboat School and was trying to decide on the standard bags or the ones with dry storage built into them. I don’t plan on using my SOF for trips very much but it would be a nice option to use for weekends out. Any opinion on the two styles of bags? Thanks in advance.

Doug

6. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Mine is dry bag/float bag, which I found in a kelp bed in Juan De Fuca, and I don't know how much it will cost. I think it is good idea to carry float bag anyway on the trips because you might go day trip or just a short evening paddle after you set up your camp.

Probably, real SOF users and builders can give you more insight and advice about different type of bags and how to pack SOF.

7. Stumpy

Stumpy Paddler

You might want to ask Brian Shutz, at www.capefalconkayaks.com , or read his page on kayak camping.... As far as I can tell, Brian's a master at minimalist camping, without scrimping on comfort. Personally, I leave my floatation bags in, deflate them for packing, then re-inflate (slightly) to remove empty space afterwards.

8. ~daniel~

~daniel~ New Member

I've paddled a SOF baidarka along the entire coast of Washington and can honestly say that it was up for the task in every way my friend :big_thumb

~daniel~
    www.longboatshortboat.blogspot.com

9. rider

rider Paddler

Good to see you back Daniel!