Spray skirt

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by pawsplus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

My new boat, which I'm picking up in Tybee Island in 2 weeks, is an NDK Pilgrim Expedition. According to this page, the cockpit is 32" x 17" with an 80" circumference.

http://www.skirtfit.com/touring-a/nigel-dennis/

What size is that? I'm now super confused because when I was in Tybee in Oct I tried a Pilgrim and Pilgrim Exp and I used my 1.7 Seals skirt and it seemed fine. Now the seller of the boat tells me that my 1.7 won't fit and that I'll need a different skirt.??

One would think there would be a page that would convert cockpit size to SS size, but I sure can't find it!

2. nootka

nootka Paddler

Seals 1.2 is what I have

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

A few thoughts:
    -I don't own a Pilgrim, but the Seals 1.7 fits the Romany classic, which is listed at skirtfit.com as having a larger cockpit than the Pilgrim.
    -More than once I have found that the 'correct' size skirt according to the dealer was too tight, especially when it was new and dry. Perhaps this is another example of the kayak business assuming that all paddlers are strapping 6 foot tall, 25 y.o., 200 pounders...I don't know, but I could hardly attach the skirt and certainly didn't like the prospect of releasing it with one hand, underwater. So, your existing skirt may be OK as a 'starter' in calm conditions.
    -The dealer should give you a decent discount on any gear you buy when you purchase a boat, so this might be a good time to buy that 'correct' size skirt from the dealer. Get some prices and decide. If it's an all neoprene skirt, make sure the tunnel is the correct size for your torso when wearing your paddling clothing (drysuit).

4. tmgr

tmgr Paddler

A friend of mine has a Pilgrim Expedition, which for some unknown reason has a larger cockpit than all the others around. That’s just the way it came to the shop from the factory. So you might want to wait until you actually have it, to fit the skirt.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

We will be taking 2 days of lessons with the dealer while we are down in Tybee so need to sort this out by then. We will be out in surf, etc. The dealer said she has the right skirt but didn't offer any discount (I did get the boat on layaway--paying over 4 mos--so maybe that's why) and I know I can get it cheaper from Amazon. But it seems impossible to get a standard skirt for this boat from what I can tell. I had just ordered a cockpit cover, since I sent my old, leaky one with the old boat when I sold it. Now I'll have to send that back.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

And I swear I used my 1.7 skirt when I test-paddled the NDKs and I rolled them with the skirt as well. It seemed to fit! So this is odd.

7. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Also, I already bought a new 1.7 cockpit cover. It's adjustable. Do you think I can adjust it sufficiently to fit the boat well enough?

8. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I have talked to the owner of Seals once, and he basically said there isn't much difference between the 1.4 and 1.7. Guess the same holds for 1.2 to 1.4. That said, I checked the Seals fit guide and it listed this as a custom size, so something about it makes it seem like the standard size may not be just right.

That said, your 1.7 likely would work (and you said it did when you test paddled). But looking at the skirtfit link you included, looks like the 1,7 would be on the large size, so may fit looser than one would like if you are in conditions.

For the 2 days of lessons, I would assume that the dealer would be willing to loan you a skirt should your 1.7 not work well.

9. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Well, she will happily SELL me one LOL, and if I have to buy one, I guess I'll just buy it there. It's just so frustrating that I keep needing more stuff! And the helmet I ordered arrived broken, so I'll have to borrow one when I'm down there!

10. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Nootka--do you have a Pilgrim Expedition?

11. nootka

nootka Paddler

Affirmative.
    I tried a Seals 1.4 on the PilgrimX and it fits fine. Easier to put on. The sides pull off easier than the 1.2 but that's not a concern unless you are in dumping waves or sideways in strong currents (or maybe rescues?)

One thing I really like about the 1.2 is the back of the skirt usually seats itself on the coaming when I sit down.
    I haven't tried the 1.4. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

12. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

OK--thanks! :)

13. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Which model of Seals skirt do you have? My old one is a Surf.

14. nootka

nootka Paddler

1.2 skirts are surf
    one 1.4 is a surf
    one 1.4 just says 1.4
    the two 1.4 skirts have identical rand as far as I can tell

15. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

OK. I ordered a 1.2 Seals Surf. What the dealer has is "custom made for the Pilgrim" Seals skirts. So if I get down there and the 1.2 doesn't fit for some reason, I can buy (for $50 more) a fancy custom one. But hopefully the 1.2 will fit. I also ordered a 1.2 cockpit cover b/c the 1.7 I ordered (which I had figured I might be able to tighten up to do well enough) arrived and it's a 7.0!!! WTF LOL. So that's been returned.

Thanks, all! :)