????Spring WCP Get-Together?????

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by candikayak, Jan 6, 2011.

?

Where Would You Prefer To Go

1. Portland Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wallace Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sidney Spit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Deception Pass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pirate's Cove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Blackberry Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Lazy! :wink:

2. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Sidney Spit is not bad for kayak camping. A few possibilities for side trips - for example Rum Island, or D'Arcy. It will be overcrowded though, with local deer. Seriously. However most likely not too many coons there. :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb

3. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Thanks for pointing out Sidney Spit, Greg, seems a good place to spend a weekend.
    :p

4. trialslord

trialslord Paddler

I have never met any of you, but my wife and I would be interested in attending. We are beginners, so we would only attend if it was somewhere safer. Sidney spit looks good if weather conditions agree!

cheers
    James

5. waverider

waverider Paddler

DarrenM Wrote:

waverider wrote:
    Cheap wine

Somebody facebook me when you guys pick a date

I knew I would have your vote :lol: And I have some awsome BC wines for you to taste that aren't VQA Darren

6. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

:lol: Sounds like it's going to take forever to decide where to go...but I would like to propose that we first choose a date. That will help people decide if they will attend - and then they can help choose a place if they are attending?

I would like to propose that we go either the weekend of the 22nd, 23rd and 24th or the weekend of the 29th, 30th and May 1 (this date being my personal choice of the two), so that Willi can attend this year. I just don't know how to set up a poll...

~Kathy

7. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

Kathy makes a good point, let's get a date nailed down first. Personally I enjoyed myself so much last year that I will make any date chosen.

8. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

I set up a poll for you. I just picked the last 3 April weekends as the options - which doesn't mean I'm opposed to Fridays. :D

9. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Thank you very much Kathy for your concern! :kiss i will go to the westcoast on march 22nd, the big part of this years adventure will be a bike trip from l.a. to cabo san lucas, the week in b.c will be the icing on the cake!
    however, i will come bare of any kayak stuff and have to rent, borrow or steal everything, from kayak to hat
    (thanks a lot greg, for your K1 offer!) any weekend will be ok for me!
    have used the poll anyway and look forward to see you all in April (that is, if i survive the bike trip :roll: )

Servus from the Danube, the river is flooding due to lots of rain and early snowmelt, sorry no kayaking until further notice!
    :wink:
    Willi

10. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

You're welcome to one of ours, if anything fits you! And if you're passing through Nanaimo, come for a visit if you have time (we own a house there as of tomorrow)!

11. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

Mark come on out and join the Nanaimo Paddlers. First Wednesday of the month, Beban Park, 7 p.m. sharp. Welcome to a terrific area for access to saline paddlin.

12. rider

rider Paddler

Looks like Apr 29-May1st is also when the Vancouver Kayak club is holding the whitewater festival.
    April 16-17 is going to have much stronger tides than the weekend after,which would mean good chance of local playtime at Ambleside.

13. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

@ mark: how did to move go? i hope everything worked out allright!
    thank you very much for your great offer, mark, i would love to visit christine and you in your new place in nanaimo. however, i have just a few days in b.c. this time.
    the plan is to spend easter eve with my friends on pender island and meet greg for some paddling later that week and i hope to come for a visit to the get together on friday, i have ot go home on sunday, may 1st.
    i am looking forward to meet you on the water!

:p
    willi

14. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

15. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

So .....looks like, according to the poll, the last weekend of April is gonna be it ???? Now we have to get on to where ????

16. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

I like the idea of Sidney Spit. Deception pass would not be my favorite as I have fears about what could happen at the border crossing. The thought of getting a chance thorough inspection done when I have everything packed neat and orderly to fit in my kayak gives me the shivers. Either on the way there or the way back. Ive never had to cross the border with kayak and gear, has this ever been a problem for anyone ?

17. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

There could be issues with bringing fresh fruit, veggies or meat across the border.

18. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

and Kinder Surprise eggs. :wink:

19. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

We're crossing the border on average twice per year, loaded with trailer, kayak, bicycles, camping equipment, etc. Never a problem. Do not worry about food. If you carry something that they do not like, they will ask you to dump it into a dumpster. a few pointers:

- do not carry drugs with you, unless you have a prescription for them.

- do not be a smart-ass. Answer their questions briefly and clearly.

- have a valid passport with you.

- do not wear sunglasses while talking to them.

Sidney Island is not a bad place to camp for a few days. Easy access from the ferries, and of course from the V.I.

20. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

What are the Hammock Hanging options on Sidney? (New convert here...)