????Spring WCP Get-Together?????

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by candikayak, Jan 6, 2011.

?

Where Would You Prefer To Go

1. Portland Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wallace Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sidney Spit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Deception Pass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pirate's Cove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Blackberry Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

When we were there, Bowman Bay was open but the rates were reduced because there was no plumbing (ie just cold water taps and outhouses - apparently that's what some people consider 'roughing it'). Not sure if they're closed completely now, but some of our group camped somewhere else, over the bridge. They're not wilderness sites, this is all 'car camping'. I didn't see anywhere very accessible to launch from near Anacortes, but with a bit of time and 2+ people you might be able to make something work. Unfortunately, the schedules weren't conducive to paddling to/from there (ie early morning departure from Anacortes, with only one sailing per day).

At Bowman, the water was very sheltered from any winds in the strait and the campsites were very water-accessible. Even if you had one of the higher sites, you could easily walk the boat down to the water and launch sans car.

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Yeah, I'd like to check out Pirates Cove. Sidney Island is nice enough, I guess, but it's not very 'wildernessy' with the thriving metropolis of Sidney directly across the water. Of course, since moving to Nanaimo last week, perhaps I'm now slightly biased towards exploring areas a little closer to here!

3. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Pirate's Cove is pretty, no question - I've camped there several times. But getting there for just a weekend is a PITA for we cheap mainlanders who prefer to wheel our kayaks onto the ferry rather than pay to take the car across. You either have a long paddle from Swartz Bay or you have to time the currents coming from/returning to Nanaimo.

4. Jill

Jill Paddler

I would like to leave my car on the mainland side so Portland is my vote . Ive never been there. I think I need to drive to a launch site for Sidney spit is this correct?

5. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

You can paddle to Sidney Spit in 2-4 hours from Swartz Bay, depending on wind and currents. So rolling on your kayak at Tsawwassen may still be an option for you.

6. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Swartz Bay to Sidney Lagoon (campground is not on the spit) should take about two hours of paddling through some of the most beautiful part of Gulf Islands. Ebb will speed up the trip. Strong southeasterlies will make it somehow difficult.

7. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

Dang, that weekend A29 to M1)is now out for me - guides exchange...

8. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Tick tick tick tick.......getting closer. No posts on this topic for some time ????

9. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Spring break is to blame, I suppose. Everybody in Acapulco or something like that. But Willi and I are talking behind the closed doors. We want to be on Portland, and a few days early.

10. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

Has there even been a consensus on location and/or date?

11. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Won't be there myself but I know a canoe/kayak group out of Van are planning their annual for Portland Easter Weekend.

12. stuckonearth

stuckonearth Paddler

I like the earlier idea of two camp outs with one in the US and one in Canada on two separate weekends.

13. waverider

waverider Paddler

Candikayak wrote: Tick tick tick tick.......getting closer. No posts on this topic for some time ????

Heck I am still having a tough time deciding on which place to vote for!

14. scott_f

scott_f Paddler

The previous poll had April 30/May 1 weekend as the winner. I hope that doesn't change because I had to book the time off work.
    As far as location, Sidney Spit is ahead right now.

15. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

so far it looks like i am not going to make it for the last weekend in april. have to go home on may 1st.
    however, greg and me are planning to go to Portland in the week between easter eve and the planned get together.
    anybody interested in joining us?
    would be really cool!
    :)
    servus from the Danube
    Willi

16. Maddie

Maddie Paddler

So, is there a solidified date and place that everyone is in agreeance with?

17. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Very good chance that I will be arriving on Portland on Tuesday evening. So may see you there .

18. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Hi Maddie....I dont know about solidified date , but I booked off for the last weekend in April, so thats when Im going . Sounds like there may be two dates for two paddles ?????

19. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

CandiK,
    So if I am correct it is the April 30 to May 1 weekend at Sidney Spit?
    The poll was close, and I have to renew my passport also, vs Deception Pass..or is that another weekend?
    We are all pointing our fingers at YOU as organzier :lol: Dan got me good in the fall for the fall campout, last minute shorty at Blackberry.
    Anyhoo, I will be there by hook or crook, need Phil to teach me how to sail my Delta!!
    Awaiting the final verdict :popcorn:

20. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

How about a change in focus for the WCP get together...help celebrate opening BC Marine Trail. And visit paddlefest.

The following an invitation to Nanaimo paddlers but a lot applies to you:

------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS A VERY BIG YEAR FOR BC PADDLERS! THE BC MARINE TRAILS NETWORK IS HERE! PLEASE PARTICIPATE AND HELP MAKE THE GRAND OPENING UNFORGETTABLE!

JOIN IN A GRAND PROGRESS THROUGH THE GULF ISLANDS

and

HELP CREATE A FLOTILLA OF KAYAKS AND CANOES

PURPOSE: To create a Marine Trails Opening Event SPLASH that will NOT be forgotten!

VOLUNTEER CHOICES:

1. VOLUNTEER TO HELP ORGANIZE: We need two or three Contact persons to organize paddlers and assist with design details.

2. VOLUNTEER TO GO ON A Nanaimo PADDLERS OVERNIGHT TRIP (Wow, that’s a tough one!)

· Official Start Date and Place: Monday, May 10th, 2011, any launch point within the Gulf Islands, especially in the Nanaimo Paddlers’ northern Gulf Islands area
    · Official End Date, time, and Place: Saturday, May 14th, between 12.30p and 1.30p, at Transfer Beach, Ladysmith
    · Numbers are not limited. We can have more than one group trip out at a time, camping at different sites.
    · The idea is for paddlers to occupy, for the 4 or 5 days prior to the Grand Opening, as many of the newly official Marine Trails sites as possible.

3. A Nanaimo PADDLERS DAY TRIP EVENT: MAY 14, 2011 Don’t want to camp? You can go for a day paddle from Evening Cove, Blue Heron Park, or other launches near Ladysmith. Just manage to arrive at Transfer Beach during the magical Flotilla Time between 12.30 and 1.30p, May 14th!

4. AT PADDLEFEST: Don’t want to paddle? You can assist at Paddlefest, to help direct and carry kayaks to their ‘parking spots’ as they land. We will also need volunteers to man the BCMTN booth.

Eight other BCMTNA member clubs will be participating. For 3 years the Nanaimo Paddlers has had a distinctive and strong role in the Marine Trails initiative. Please, Members, volunteer your time once again and demonstrate our club’s enthusiasm, energy, and ‘paddling community’ spirit.

THIS IS A VERY BIG YEAR FOR BC PADDLERS! THE BC MARINE TRAILS NETWORK IS HERE! PLEASE PARTICIPATE AND HELP MAKE THE GRAND OPENING UNFORGETTABLE!